Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River year-round chinook opening  (Read 13340 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano River year-round chinook opening
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 02:22:16 PM »

I think the bait ban should be lifted. It was originally put in place to protect the chinook stocks. Now that chinook fishery is open for retention, I see no reason for having the bait ban.

I thought the ban was to protect the fragile summer run steelhead stock?

If the intent of the bait ban was to protect the summer steelhead, they would have implemented the dates earlier than Aug. 1 to Oct. 31. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 05:16:04 PM »

If the intent of the bait ban was to protect the summer steelhead, they would have implemented the dates earlier than Aug. 1 to Oct. 31. 

Would you like me to look into that as well? I think I am using up my question tickets at DFO. :)

The Aug 1st date is probably pushed back by interest group (anglers) so we get to enjoy the coho fishery for that extra month. :) Isn't August 1st to Oct 31st the window when S.S. are holding in the river (not arriving)?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 06:26:05 PM »

Actually it was Eric Carlisle who told me why the bait ban was implemented.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 07:31:23 AM »

Thats just it CF, as soon as they built the dam across the cap, they blocked access to the best spawning grounds and with wildly fluctuating waterlevels the river below the dam, that portion of the river cant be that conducive for spawning/juvenile fish.

Based on the fact that the runs on the cap are virtually all man made, why not have a large opportunty for retention...as long as it doesnt impact the steelhead, I am all for it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 12:32:43 AM »

The part that gets me is two over 25cm for now, hell them Blue's aint worth a sc#it to the hatchery as the roe is too small along with the sperm!  So why not open Blue backs to 4 a day????

The Cap is a man made Ditch in the Summer time!  The only water over the dam is too run the hatchery and that it!  What a joke I wish I could have fished it before the Cement Monster went up!

C.F

I think the minimum size is 30 cm.(approx. 12 inches)  Present regulations call for 2 cohos over 30 cm and 2 under. Why would anyone want to retain a coho uner 30 cm ?

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 05:33:59 AM »

well c,f, that cement monster has insured my morning shower and drinking water
as long as i have been alive
i don't think it will be going anywhere soon :-X

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 04:30:03 PM »

Most of the water for the North Shore comes from the Seymour River or the Coquiltam River.

Not true. The Capilano watershed supplies water to the District of West Vancouver as well as parts of City of North Vancouver and the District of North Vancouver. The Seymour watershed only supplies water to a small portion of North Vancouver and Deep Cove, most of its water is transported through this pipe that goes under the Second Narrows to a smaller reservoir in Vancouver. None of the water supply on the North Shore comes from the Coquitlam watershed. The Capilano watershed also supplies water to the City of Vancouver and Richmond.

For a map of water supply distribution of GVRD, go to this page. (PDF file)

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 09:52:41 PM »

yeah, they are expanding the under ground reservoir at queen e park.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 10:01:22 PM »

CF I did a considerable amount of volunteer work at the seymour hatchery and they took jacks for coho.  James (some of you know him) told me that their genes are no different to that of an adult and hence are used for brood - jacks simply do a shorter ocean circut.  Maybe jacks take a long time to ripen in the river as I have seen tiny skeens in the ones I have caught, but none the less they are still good for brood stocking.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 10:13:21 PM »

Jacks or Jills are sexually mature despite their small size and can mate with the big boys.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2005, 10:20:08 PM »

Jacks or Jills are sexually mature despite their small size and can mate with the big boys.

I disagree. I'm afraid Jack is unable to mate with the big boys no matter how hard he tries.

Those that return early and become sexually matured are known as sneakers. They sneak in to mate while the larger fish compete. Someone brought up a good point that jacks may increase genetic diversity, as the jacks and fully matured fish come from different year's spawns.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2005, 10:33:02 PM »

I disagree. I'm afraid Jack is unable to mate with the big boys no matter how hard he tries.

;D ;D You know what I mean

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2005, 10:58:27 PM »

I have to agree with Rod, there is no way on Gods Green Earth a Blue Back came mate with an adult coho.  Christ there roe sack is less then an inche long! 

Ask why hatchery are keeping them for breeding then.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2005, 08:25:01 PM »

Hate to break it to you CF but Jacks spawn with adults all of the time. I have seen coho Jacks spawn with female coho that are in their teens. What happens is two adult males get to scrapping over the doe and while they are not paying attention, the Jack gets in their very quick and spawns with the doe. This is a good way to get gene flow between broodyears.
 The DFO hatcheries have a genetics policy that wants you to use Jacks in the broodstock in the same per centage as is in the total run. So if 5% of the run is Jacks, then 5% of the male broodstock are Jacks. Obviously the fish are in the population for a reason so it makes sence to also use them in the brood. These fish are viable and they produce normal sized adults.
 And Jacks don't mate with the big boys but the Jills do. Jacks mate with the big girls.