Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder in a couple of weeks  (Read 2625 times)

minsyoo

Vedder in a couple of weeks
« on: September 24, 2009, 04:15:51 PM »

So my dad is coming to town from overseas, and I want to show him a good time of fishing. I want to take him out to Vedder, and I'm trying to see what I should be fishing for a in a couple of weeks.

I'm eyeing October 4th, as the date...

Cohos and springs?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder in a couple of weeks
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »

yup thats what you will be targetting. there will still be lots of dirty pinks around then though so try to avoid them as they wil be spawning. there even could be some early chummies by then   ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

salmonlover

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:32:30 PM »

ive never really fished the vedder is a low river? do people usually float fish or drift fish or just throw a bar rig out and hope for the best?
or do lures work the best? sorry for the newbie questions ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »

most people float/drift fish (same thing) however there is lots of people that also bottom bounce (even with a float on) this is not the ideal way unless you like reeling in foul hooked fish all day long. try setting up your float to weight about 2feet off bottom then when your float dives you will be solid into a fish....however sometimes you still do get snagged up  :-\ like when you take a different drift into someplace shallower LOL

you probably wont catch as many fish as the BB'ers/snaggers/flossers however you will fair hook almost every fish(do snag some but hardly) and you will also know they are biting when the float goes down as oppose to just hooking into any random object  ::)

I was just out last friday and hooked EVERY one of my fish in the mouth short floating roe. I did however foul hook 2 pinks in the hump while reeling in  >:( which can get frustrating if it happens every few casts.
Check out our new blog

salmonlover

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »

most people float/drift fish (same thing) however there is lots of people that also bottom bounce (even with a float on) this is not the ideal way unless you like reeling in foul hooked fish all day long. try setting up your float to weight about 2feet off bottom then when your float dives you will be solid into a fish....however sometimes you still do get snagged up  :-\ like when you take a different drift into someplace shallower LOL

you probably wont catch as many fish as the BB'ers/snaggers/flossers however you will fair hook almost every fish(do snag some but hardly) and you will also know they are biting when the float goes down as oppose to just hooking into any random object  ::)

I was just out last friday and hooked EVERY one of my fish in the mouth short floating roe. I did however foul hook 2 pinks in the hump while reeling in  >:( which can get frustrating if it happens every few casts.

thanks hook...very informative!

minsyoo

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

ooh, i just read this again and realized there was a mention of possible chums, what do chums bite? Also I have a 8ft 12-25lb test spinning rod with 12# line on it. I was told on a post a few weeks back, that'd be okay for chums, too. But I'm a little nervous, what do you guys think?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »

that rod should be fine for chums but dont expect to encounter many. You mat see a few or none at all depends. I know one year i got like 5 of them in one spot in early October  :-\ because of this i knew there were no springs around so changed spots and hammered springs for a few hours with a couple coho tossed in as well  ;D

chums really like pink/purple jigs, red & orange wool. try the jigs though they can be deadly if your targetting chums i think mostly because they stay in the zone the best. I have caught chums on other things also but those i think have been best when gear fishing. If im fly fishing i just tie up big and heavy pink/purple popsicles (maribou flies) and they love them. the jigs look basically exactly the same as the fly i tie  ;)
Check out our new blog