Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 8125 times)

biteme

Rain Gear
« on: November 17, 2006, 07:33:28 AM »

Hi all, new to the forum looks like a lot of knowledge and some good reading here.I was wondering what is the best rain gear out there? I do allot of fly fishing in a tube most Merrit, Kamploops area and fish the vedder and Fraser quite abit.I have bought stuff that say "waterproof" but after a few hours I'm soaked to the bone and freezing is there anything that will keep me dry and warm? Thanks.

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:46:39 AM »

nothing keeps u totally dry, but i would suggest wool shirts pants and socks, wool stays warm when wet, so u wont be to comfortable but at least u wont catch hypothermia! My vest is a rain jacket and it leaks, so i shove a supposedly water proof shell on top and off i go!
Fish killer 101

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »

Stormtech has a line of waterproof gear that is totally waterproof, I have spent ten hours straight in the pouring rain wearing this stuff and still been bone dry at the end of the day... I dunno what brand you wear younggun but I think it is time to buy something new ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:10:09 AM »

Your wader's usely keep you dry from the waist down use a heavy coat and make sure it goes over your wader's and where a poncho over that and that keeps you relitivly dry.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:15:17 AM »

unless ur a person like me who cant afford waders and would grow out of them in a year, then u use cheap hip waders that get u through ur hard times!
Fish killer 101

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 08:20:44 AM »

I use my grandpa's old hip  wader's although they are a little big!!! They are so heavy they have to be antiques.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:22:47 AM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:21:21 AM »

Awww poor guy.
Fish on!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:26:20 AM »

Kelly Hanson raingear.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:30:24 AM »

First off, what's your budget?  

Wearing waders will keep you dry from the chest down.  Pairing that with a good wading jacket should keep you dry.  Keep in mind that with wading jackets you want to find one that has a good seal at the cuff to prevent water from running down your sleeve when you're fishing.  Simms is supposedly the best for that but you're paying big bucks too.  Or you could also wear a regular rain jacket so long as the cuffs seal well.  As to waterproofness,  it depends on the jacket.  I have a wading jacket that is waterproof/breathable, but the cuffs don't seal that well so I don't wear it on days where it's pouring rain (like these last few days, for example). I have a Helly Hansen waterproof/breathable shell that I wear on really wet days and the cuffs seal really tight and it's kept me dry.  It's also breathable so it's comfortable.
President Club S. C. & P.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 08:41:03 AM »

i second the helly hanson gear or the viking rain gear

Lew Chater

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »

Cute little guy FF. Is that a Seldex 3 1/4" he's playing with. Great little reels. Bought my first one in the early fifties. Still have a couple of them. Had to pay $8.75 for them, but what a great improvement to fish the Vedder with them over the old Bakelite brown reels we had before that.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 01:06:21 PM »

There are lots of options out there but I would reccmoned that you get a jacket that is designed specifically for fishing. A wading jacket is cut shorter so you will be able to wade in deep water and not have to worry about water seeping up from undernieth. Another thing to look for is sealed cuffs. Same idea, sucks to have water run up your sleave when you're tailing a fish. If your on a tight budget, you should take a look at some of the jackets by north river or trophy xl. If money is not a concern take a look at some of the products made by bare, simms or patagonia. I personally own a bare kodiak and abosolutly love it.
Actions speak louder than words.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

nothing keeps u totally dry, but i would suggest wool shirts pants and socks, wool stays warm when wet, so u wont be to comfortable but at least u wont catch hypothermia! My vest is a rain jacket and it leaks, so i shove a supposedly water proof shell on top and off i go!

go to walmart and buy yourself silicone water-guard (camping section).  for 6 bucks it'll help seal the leaks.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 03:24:05 PM »

For all the gear you can spend money on, IMHO you don't want to go to cheap on the rain jacket as it can be the difference between a good day and a miserable one...I know Simms makes some of the best stuff but I don't like their jackets...Like Merc says, water up the sleeve sucks and that always happens with their stuff. I just got a Bare Kodiak jacket and used it up on a local river a few times now during heavy rainfall and stayed dry, The cuffs work really well and the jacket is a little thicker then the Simms and helped keep my warmer too...

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »

I bought the Patagonia SST Stretch Jacket. It's got rubber seals on the cuffs as well and a great hood. So far it's been very reliable.