Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 29th 2009: UNBELIEVABLE DAY!!!  (Read 9450 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Chilliwack River, January 29th 2009: UNBELIEVABLE DAY!!!
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »

It doesn't seem like anything can be brought up in a healthy manner on this site without people on both sides of the fence getting hot under the collar about it...

Don't blame the site. The same can easily be found on all the other forums right now. That's how BC fishermen communicate. At least we strictly argue about fishing here. ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »

There is no personal resentment from me whatsoever.

In my mind, what I see and read proves to me that this is a case of poor fish handling - even though it was a hatchery fish that was intended to be kept.

As long as the individuals involved in the event justify their actions in their own minds, then they can clearly believe that they did no wrong.

I'm sure enough attention has been brought to this that everyone who's followed this thread will think twice about kicking a fish to shore.

In the spirit of fair catch, shouldn't a fish that unhooks before it is landed, get the chance to swim away without being chased after?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 07:50:43 PM »

There is no personal resentment from me whatsoever.

In my mind, what I see and read proves to me that this is a case of poor fish handling - even though it was a hatchery fish that was intended to be kept.

As long as the individuals involved in the event justify their actions in their own minds, then they can clearly believe that they did no wrong.

I'm sure enough attention has been brought to this that everyone who's followed this thread will think twice about kicking a fish to shore.

In the spirit of fair catch, shouldn't a fish that unhooks before it is landed, get the chance to swim away without being chased after?

when the hook pops out on that hatchery fish at shore i guess it is all over. I will just let it sit there and swim back when it is ready and I won't attempt to grab it whatsoever. ::). come on man, think about it.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »

Hey Rodney....congrats on your first hatchery. 8)
Seemed to get overlooked amongst the bitching ;D
Marco....sorry you lost that fish.  %#@$ happens sometimes.
People are making out like you were going for a field goal, but I think you were more like trying to coral that fish with your feet while in panic mode.
Some opinions should be left at just that.Don't sweat the small stuff ;D.
Rando
The Fishin Musician

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 08:03:12 PM »

Do whatever you want to Cody. If you want to take it and kill it go ahead. If you want to help the fish back in then go right ahead.

No worries, enjoy the experience for what it is and what you make or take out of it.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »

My statement was made so that the fact is the fish was wanting to be retained by marco. Although, if released, it is a whole nother argument like you just said.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 09:04:55 PM »

the fish was wanting to be retained by marco.

Cody, no smart fish want to be retained, they usually want to live and swim freely. ;D

Knowing Marco (and many of you do! ;D ), he probably hasn't broken a sweat over this. He is most likely smoking a Cuban right now, instead of...

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »

you know what i mean ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 09:26:30 PM »

LOL Rodney I love it..... new display pic worthy :)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »

hahaha, that is funny, very funny Rodney, congrats on the fish and that was, amazing photography, can't believe you captured that moment. I think just about anyone that has ever fished can remember a time when they either lost or almost lost a fish that they wanted to retain. Something comes over you when the hook comes out and the fish is chillin there, not yet realizing its freedom. My little brother fell into the fraser river and I stepped on and broke my reel trying to land one of the first pinks that we ever caught, when the dust had settled, we viciously bonked that fish and then thought about how stupid we must of looked. That's fishing, if this had been a wild fish it would of been a different matter, but they guy caught it, fought it, landed it, and then tried to scoot it onto dry land, big deal.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »

the fish was wanting to be retained by marco.

Cody, no smart fish want to be retained, they usually want to live and swim freely. ;D

Knowing Marco (and many of you do! ;D ), he probably hasn't broken a sweat over this. He is most likely smoking a Cuban right now, instead of...

I going to bed anyway as it was a long week, too many days fishing I guess but it was pretty successful too as a number of wild fish were tubed for the hatchery. ;D They should be up to the same numbers they had at this time last year. ;D

I expect this thread to have 1,000 views by morning. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:06:12 PM by chris gadsden »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:03 PM »

Great fish Rodney, congrats. And great fishing story on a great day out. End of story.

Relax guys and have fun & move on. Next time when your fish breaks for freedom even on dry land after you pull the hook, make sure you stand back, fold your arms, lock your feet, smile and blow a good bye kiss.   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:50:04 PM by Steelhawk »

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 03:27:42 AM »

Great fish Rodney, congrats. And great fishing story on a great day out. End of story.

Relax guys and have fun & move on. Next time when your fish breaks for freedom even on dry land after you pull the hook, make sure you stand back, fold your arms, lock your feet, smile and blow a good bye kiss.   ;D ;D ;D
lol! well said! ;D ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 12:23:06 PM »

hahah that's right  ;D

magwart

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 05:29:42 PM »

marko just couldnt bend over to catch it ;D