Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout fishing in the Vedder?  (Read 8146 times)

ajransom

Trout fishing in the Vedder?
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:28:22 AM »

I havent fished at all this fall due to work and family commitments, and am thinking of taking a day off work next week to head out and fly fish.

Wondering what the trout fishing is like in the Vedder right now? Would love to have a relaxing day fishing for rainbows.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

bobby b

Re: Trout fishing in the Vedder?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 12:50:28 PM »

In my experience I have had really good luck for both rainbows and bulls mostly in the upper stretches of the Vedder. Mind you, I'm mostly getting into Rainbows in July / Aug. Bull trout are def in there right now... got a nice one a few weeks ago while fishing for Coho.

Rainbows there I pretty much have got all on a Muddler Minnow fly .... Bulls I have got on leech patterns and bigger streamers.

This one was caught on roe....

https://app.box.com/s/80touesx7oaef8d6s4oi0srruaf05e7s
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:54:09 PM by bobby b »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »

I havent fished at all this fall due to work and family commitments, and am thinking of taking a day off work next week to head out and fly fish.

Wondering what the trout fishing is like in the Vedder right now? Would love to have a relaxing day fishing for rainbows.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Are you planning to target trout because you don't have a salmon stamp and don't want to get one with the season over already? If that is the case, you might want to re-think that because the hassle to try defend yourself with salmon in the river will definitely not be worth it. I remember someone getting pretty buggered over this exact same issue and pretty much the same timing. I'm not implying you're doing or planning anything wrong but it sure would suck to have to go to court over like this.

Of course if you have your salmon stamp you're good to go. Now I wonder if they would get ticket friendly if you didn't have a Steelhead stamp?

I never considered that before but I'm curious. I found the canal and the Cottonwoods corner with trout and cutthroat this time of year - and they like deli shrimp. Found this looking for early Steelhead.

bobby b

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »

Rule is .....

Non-Tidal Salmon
Your basic licence must be validated with a salmon conservation stamp to keep a salmon of any legal size or species (other than kokanee) from non-tidal waters. A stamp is not required if you intend to release all salmon caught.

Steelhead
Your basic licence must be validated with a conservation surcharge stamp if you intend to fish for steelhead anywhere in B.C. (whether you intend to keep or release your catch).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 03:16:20 PM by bobby b »

cdjk123

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 05:34:16 PM »

Honestly, fishing for resident trout in the vedder isn't really what it's known for. It's not a fantastic trout river to be honest.
Bulls are worth a try though.

Often people fish the Vedder in the late spring and summer months, and they think they're catching resident rainbows. They're almost always catching steelhead smolts.

You're better off going up to Squamish. Great Bull and trout action there right now.

ajransom

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 05:44:35 PM »

Are you planning to target trout because you don't have a salmon stamp and don't want to get one with the season over already? If that is the case, you might want to re-think that because the hassle to try defend yourself with salmon in the river will definitely not be worth it. I remember someone getting pretty buggered over this exact same issue and pretty much the same timing. I'm not implying you're doing or planning anything wrong but it sure would suck to have to go to court over like this.

Of course if you have your salmon stamp you're good to go. Now I wonder if they would get ticket friendly if you didn't have a Steelhead stamp?

I never considered that before but I'm curious. I found the canal and the Cottonwoods corner with trout and cutthroat this time of year - and they like deli shrimp. Found this looking for early Steelhead.

No, I have a salmon stamp and a steelhead licence. Just looking for a relaxing morning fly fishing for trout. Perhaps I'll target some bulls and take the Spey rod out.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »

Definitely a good time to go out then. Majority of the meat-heads will be gone and you'll be able to work runs properly. Never know, you can always get something nice this time between runs.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 06:44:46 PM »

Lots of places on the Fraser River to fish for cutthroat trout. They are willing biters once the chum have finished spawning.The trout move around a lot looking for food, one day you will find them and the next day they have moved on.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 08:57:07 AM »

Lots of places on the Fraser River to fish for cutthroat trout. They are willing biters once the chum have finished spawning.The trout move around a lot looking for food, one day you will find them and the next day they have moved on.

Most appropriately fished with a fly and lots of really good water that suits. You can encounter bug hatches and rising fish at times (even in winter), catch 'em on nymphs, run into dollies and even the odd steelhead.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ajransom

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »

Most appropriately fished with a fly and lots of really good water that suits. You can encounter bug hatches and rising fish at times (even in winter), catch 'em on nymphs, run into dollies and even the odd steelhead.

Whats the water clarity like? I would have thought with all this rain it would be pretty poor, no?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »

wait until the river level at Hope hits 4m or less. Once it's cold in the interior the river can have 4 or more feet of visibility
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.