Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sportsman's Show/All About Fishing: Support Your Voices!  (Read 1815 times)

obie1fish

Sportsman's Show/All About Fishing: Support Your Voices!
« on: March 07, 2020, 10:53:14 AM »

I went to the Sportsman's Show Friday. There were a lot of displays that I've seen in the past, and, really, I have what I need for the types of fishing I do. Nevertheless, it was well worth it for several reasons:

1) I got to sign up for organizations that speak for anglers like me. I do not have the time and skills to represent the interests of sport fishermen, and people like Owen Bird (whom I spoke with yesterday and leaves for Ottawa today), the Fraser River Sportsfishing Alliance, The Nicomekl Hatchery, and others need our support. It was good to discuss the issues with them. I didn't buy a single thing yesterday (only because I still have the jerky from the Vancouver Island folks- it's really good!), but I spent dollars in donations and memberships.

2) I get to see, speak with, and learn from presenters in a way that is far more personal than Google searches. To be able to speak with people whom I only see on their websites and on t.v. and show my appreciation for letting me fish vicariously through them when I can't get out myself was a good thing.

3) Bumping into old friends I haven't seen in a while. I had some good walks down memory lane with good people, some of whom I could finally introduce to my lovely wife!

4) Seeing displays for products and places that I could only dream of purchasing. One can still dream, and now I have a couple of more ideas for when I win the lottery.

I will want to make sure I attend next Saturday's All About Fishing for these same reasons and probably a few more. Local people doing good things locally. Get out to Chilliwack next Saturday and suppot local.

Thanks to all who make these events possible, and also to those who have gone out on a limb to make a living from this recreational industry. Keep fighting the good fight.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Sportsman's Show/All About Fishing: Support Your Voices!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »

Thank you. Looking forward to see many of you next Saturday.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/all-about-fishing/index.html

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »

Awesome post Obie1fish. I was sitting on the fence about going. You have made me want to go now. Thanx.

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »

Cheers, Wiseguy, and Rodney. Let's get out to these events while we still can. It's getting to be crunch time with that nasty virus out there. We are still good in this neck of the woods.  ;D

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 12:54:01 PM »

Rodney, is a presentation schedule available? The webpage says TBA.

My daughter in law has expressed an interest in learning how to fish and I thought the show might interest her. Might schedule our attendance around some of the presentations most relevant to her.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 02:11:01 PM »

So unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be live presentations this year. Nobody has stepped up to do one, and last year it took me six hours to set up the whole AV system and stage plus picking up all the equipment in Surrey and driving back from Chilliwack, so I'm not going to do that just to have Kitty and me saying a few things. :( That said, there are more activities and booths this year for people to check out so there are lots of opportunities for one-on-one instructions, which usually work better for people.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »

Got it. Then we’ll just show up whenever!