Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dolly at London Landing  (Read 3667 times)

Double Underhooks

Dolly at London Landing
« on: May 10, 2005, 02:13:05 PM »

Hi, I just registered and thought I'd dropped in and say Hello!

I'm a novice fisher and I mostly fish around Richmond (usually at the 2 and 3 Rd piers). I'm still exploring the fishing spots around town but thought I'd share my catch on Sunday (May 8th).

I was using some peanutbutter dough for the peamouth chumbs and to my surprise a 15" Dolly snatched it up :o (at the lower floating barge at London Landing(water was 5 ft deep)). The Dolly put up a great fight and was by far the biggest fish I've caught at this location!

Another interesting fish I've seen there in the recent weeks was a bigger peamouth or pike minnow (roughly 13-14"). Both the these fishes were caught when the water level was at the lowest point (just slowly rising) and calm.

As well, last night at 3 Rd I caught a completely black (or a very dark shaded) Sculpin. I've never seen a 'bullhead' this color before. Is it 'normal'  ???

So how many of you guys live/fish in Richmond and where is a good place on the North Arm? and has anyone tried the South end of No. 6 Rd???
Any info would be greatly appreciated  :)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 02:23:21 PM by Double Underhooks »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Dolly at London Landing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 02:48:08 PM »

Welcome. There should be lots of pinks moving through the Lower Fraser in the summer.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 04:09:22 PM »

Welcome, don't forget to introduce yourself here. :)

The dollies in that area get bigger than that. The biggest one I've hooked so far is around 20 in. When that water clears up a little bit in late May or early June, around low tide, you'll be able to get them on spinners.

From the floating dock, I have found that when the tide is at its lowest, and incoming around evening time, the chub fishing can be excellent. :)

There are several different species of sculpins in the area.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 01:52:28 PM »

Thanks for the welcome guys! I've added my introductions on the linking thread.

Rod, the water will clear up enough to use spinners? (Cause the water looks really murky right now). Would there be a point in using scents with the spinners?

Btw, has anyone tried fishing at:

Iowna beach?
Macdonald beach
South end of 5 & 6 Rd?
New West Quay?

Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 06:26:37 PM »

The water usually clears up slightly in late May and early June. Depending on the weather etc, we should get around 1 to 2 feet of visibility by then, which is enough to entice the dollies with a spinner. It's not necessary to use scent with the spinner, they would be very eager to bite if the fish are around.

The best spinner patterns I've used around late spring is a copper body with a large copper blade. Silver doesn't seem to work as well.

This was caught on May 22nd, 2003. Notice the water clarity in the background.

This was caught on May 25th, 2003, from London's Landing. Both fish have the big belly that is common for this time of the year, full of salmon fry.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 08:03:56 PM »

Thoese r fatties!!! :D

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:29:35 PM »

when the waters vis is good, can u nail them on the fly down there?

Double Underhooks

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 09:26:40 AM »

Nice catches Rod! Those are some fatties :o

The water in your pics do look much clearer than it Currently is.  Can't wait to experiment with some spinners in a couple of weeks.
I've also seen a few salmon jumping between 2 & 3 Rd. Gonna give them a shot too  ;D

Thanks for the tip on using copper colored spinners and maybe a few other ones, I'll update you on how it worked for me.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:59:55 AM »

when the waters vis is good, can u nail them on the fly down there?

I don't see why not, that's if you can find the room to cast. The fish are heavily feeding on fry near the surface, a lot of those big splashes this time of the year are big dollies hunting. :o