Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead fishing  (Read 4784 times)

koifish

steelhead fishing
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »

i want to go steelhead fishing this year but i dont know anything about it only thing i know is i need a steelhead stamp and can only retain hatchrey marked fish
how do i fish for them?
any good spots? where can i go at the vedder?

what do i use which method? i fly fish or i can float fish any help would be great thx!!

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
Re: steelhead fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:37:39 PM »

TheFishingLad

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »

Www.google.ca

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

Use similar methods to catching salmon. Drift roe, prawn, pink worms, colorado blade, jigs etc under a float. Fish a run from head to tail, cast and take a step down stream working your way down the run. Don't be a fence post. Steelheading is all about finding the fish.
You can definitely fly fish for them too but they don't call it the starvation stick for nothing.

Lots of good gear and fly water on the vedder you just have to explore, don't get discouraged if You come up empty handed.

There's a TON literature on the net that Will give you a lot more detail.

MoeJKU

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »

Use similar methods to catching salmon. Drift roe, prawn, pink worms, colorado blade, jigs etc under a float. Fish a run from head to tail, cast and take a step down stream working your way down the run. Don't be a fence post. Steelheading is all about finding the fish.
You can definitely fly fish for them too but they don't call it the starvation stick for nothing.

Lots of good gear and fly water on the vedder you just have to explore, don't get discouraged if You come up empty handed.

There's a TON literature on the net that Will give you a lot more detail.
What FOH said.
When i was starting it was easier to expect to catch nothing every time you go out. It gets easier though. They are a very rewarding fish to catch, for me personally.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »

Unlike salmon fishing, steelheading is a "hunt". You have to move around a lot (and I mean A LOT) to have any kind of hope at hooking into the elusive "fish of a thousand casts". Their numbers are small, so the real issue is to find the fish.

When you do, any terminal tackle presented within its striking zone might work. Steelhead are stupid and glutonous. They will hit anything you offer them, especially if it has scent and flavour. Flies are much less productive than bait or metal. Some fly fishermen often go several seasons in a row without connecting with a steelhead. But then again...when it does happen, it is a moment of glory! ;D

Steelheading defines us as river anglers. The cold and wet days, endless hours of casting without a single bite and the tough retention regulations all contribute to weeding out the opportunistic anglers who are out in full force only when the prospect of catching fish is good. Steelheaders are a different breed. They are out for the sake of being out - catching a fish is just a bonus.

As you walk many miles along the river, look for structure where a steelhead would feel safe (deep pools, ripples behing larger boulders, log jams, etc.). Try a couple of casts with one terminal tackle, and then change your presentation. Never spend more than a few minutes in one spot. Never cast the same terminal tackle more than a few times in the same spot. If a steelhead is there and wants what you have to offer (e.g. a roe bag or a purple bunny leech), it will hit within a few casts. If it doesn't, change your offering. Repeat. And keep moving. Don't sit in one spot waiting for the fish to come - they won't.

Few people catch a steelhead in their first season of fishing for them; some have to fish several seasons before they catch the first one. It is an affair of three P's: preparation, patience and perseverance.

Tight lines.

andrew5

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »

Unlike salmon fishing, steelheading is a "hunt". You have to move around a lot (and I mean A LOT) to have any kind of hope at hooking into the elusive "fish of a thousand casts". Their numbers are small, so the real issue is to find the fish.

When you do, any terminal tackle presented within its striking zone might work. Steelhead are stupid and glutonous. They will hit anything you offer them, especially if it has scent and flavour. Flies are much less productive than bait or metal. Some fly fishermen often go several seasons in a row without connecting with a steelhead. But then again...when it does happen, it is a moment of glory! ;D

Steelheading defines us as river anglers. The cold and wet days, endless hours of casting without a single bite and the tough retention regulations all contribute to weeding out the opportunistic anglers who are out in full force only when the prospect of catching fish is good. Steelheaders are a different breed. They are out for the sake of being out - catching a fish is just a bonus.

As you walk many miles along the river, look for structure where a steelhead would feel safe (deep pools, ripples behing larger boulders, log jams, etc.). Try a couple of casts with one terminal tackle, and then change your presentation. Never spend more than a few minutes in one spot. Never cast the same terminal tackle more than a few times in the same spot. If a steelhead is there and wants what you have to offer (e.g. a roe bag or a purple bunny leech), it will hit within a few casts. If it doesn't, change your offering. Repeat. And keep moving. Don't sit in one spot waiting for the fish to come - they won't.

Few people catch a steelhead in their first season of fishing for them; some have to fish several seasons before they catch the first one. It is an affair of three P's: preparation, patience and perseverance.

Tight lines.

Very well said! That definitely puts it into context.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »

Being able to read water well and knowing where a fish will sit is the biggest thing to steelheading. Next is being able to properly present an offering to them well (more so on the chilliwack system as it sees heavy angling pressure).

Steelheading separates the men from the boys I think.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

koifish

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »

ya i go to the vedder by train bridge some deep holes there i heard prawns is a deadly bait for steelhead

maybe i should start curing roe soon

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 04:18:34 PM »

Being able to read water well and knowing where a fish will sit is the biggest thing to steelheading. Next is being able to properly present an offering to them well (more so on the chilliwack system as it sees heavy angling pressure).

Steelheading separates the men from the boys I think.

X2.
It's like brain surgery, long painstaking years of practice and addiction management.

Stopes

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »

Well your in the right direction by asking questions. Steelies are tough fish to catch because they have such lower #'s, but once you find them they are actually very easy to catch. Roe & colorado blades have been my go to choices. Youtube some videos as well, learn to read the river & by doing that is getting out there, asking questions.
Also find a good pair of wading boots cause you will be doing lots of walking, which is 1 of the best things of steelie fishing, not to many crazies out there & very prestine.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »

X2.
It's like brain surgery, long painstaking years of practice and addiction management.

Addicted? No never...

???
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Animal Chin

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »

I caught a few (3 to be exact) with jigs I tied tipped with shrimp cocktail, in case you want another non-roe alternative. Way easier to tie than flies. Pink/white and pink/chartreuse rabbit fur. No master steelheader though.

..but yeah dude, not to be condescending..but you should practice research skills. It'll serve you well in school.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 06:01:38 PM »

Addicted? No never...

???

I dear you not to come out fishing for a week.