Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeena Shut Down  (Read 1702 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Skeena Shut Down
« on: May 27, 2022, 04:53:42 PM »

FN0495-RECREATIONAL - Chinook Salmon - Region 6 - Recreational fishing for Chinook - Closed - Effective Immediately

Effective May 24th, 2022 at 00:01 hours through March 31, 2023, recreational fishing for Chinook salmon will be closed on the Skeena River watershed and all rivers and lakes in Region 6 flowing into PFMAs 3 to 6, not including the Kitimat River and Nass River watersheds.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=259225&ID=all

salmonid

Re: Skeena Shut Down
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 08:43:51 AM »

have you seen this happen before?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 09:58:26 AM »

have you seen this happen before?

I think this is the third or 4th season in a row. Last fall it was also shut down to steelhead fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 10:56:24 AM »

This closure is being sold under the guise of conservation, and were ALL user groups were to be shut down for a spell that might be believable.

But they are not.

So in reality this closure isn't so much about "conservation" as it as allowing one sector to continue netting stocks that are depleted, with the distinct possibility of that trend getting worse. Much worse that is...

Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 11:17:38 AM »

the closure on chinook was to allow any surplus beyond minimum escapement to be diverted to FN FSC fishery in compensation for the FSC closure on sockeye.

The question was is this a new closure & the answer is it is not.

Like or lump it FN access to salmon resources before other user groups. It's a constitutional right. I believe in the past few seasons the chinook fishery was opened in the summer for recreational angling. That is not too different than the situation here on the Fraser watershed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

roeman

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 07:39:30 PM »

Its time for the indians to evolve......................
Like every other race on the planet.
So tired of hearing about cermonial BS and our people..........
They dont get that fat eating fish. 
I lived in Terrace for 7 years and fished the tributaries of the Skeena in the fall.
Would see FN netting at the mouth of the Kasiks every day when I was out, I fished at least 3x a week, and their goal was coho but the they would also get steelhead as a by catch..  I could not believe one guy with one net in one spot, and I counted 30 steelhead in his boat on more that one occassion.
And the low returns impact recreational fishing first. 
What happen to FN in the past is disgraceful, but its the past... Move on...
Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 06:00:06 AM »

maybe it's not time for the "Indians" (gee isn't that's telling) to evolve but for some other people...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:15:54 AM by RalphH »