Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crayfish in Lower Fraser  (Read 11449 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Crayfish in Lower Fraser
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »

I don't know what does the synopsis etc say? Crayfish are not fish - they are crustaceans and they are native and common in most waters here. In saltwater, crabs and shellfish are typically kept alive. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »

I don't know what does the synopsis etc say? Crayfish are not fish - they are crustaceans and they are native and common in most waters here. In saltwater, crabs and shellfish are typically kept alive.

I don't fish for them so I have no idea. Performing a quick search
Freshwater
fish … means fin fish, shellfish and crustaceans (such as crayfish) in any life stage, including eggs.

so Crayfish and crustaceans are FISH.

It is unlawful to:
Have any live fish in your possession in the wild, or move any live fish or live aquatic invertebrates around the province or transplant them into any waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on stringers, and never use live fish as bait or release your aquarium fish to the wild.
“High-grading” is illegal.

So I would conclude it is illegal to keep them alive.

I was unable to find any similar comments either for or against keeping shellfish alive in the Tidal Fraser.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »

That's a reasonable measure to prevent people doing stupid stuff like the bucket brigade, but that would be one hard CO to write you up for bringing home your haul of crayfish without dispatching each one first.

TimL

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »

Crayfish would be considered shellfish in tidal water so I'm assuming the handling and transport rules for them follow that of other shellfish as listed by dfo. No laws stated by DFO regarding whether crabs and other shellfish are to be kept alive or dispatched immediately when caught. The carapace (top shell) has to be retained on the crab until it is brought home. When crabbing, most people ( incl. me) keep their catch alive in seawater until they are ready to be shelled and cooked. The rationale is that the meat of shellfish deteriorates rapidly after death (think of why crabs, clams, mussels are usually sold live in supermarkets, or if dead, frozen). I would think the same practice goes for crayfish.

Silver

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »

To the crawfish in the pictures above, it should be handled and respected just like any other fish we catch.  If keeping it legally, dispatch it.  If being returned, do so without harm.

I will consider this in future...
The crustacean gladiator arena that I was hosting was giving me nightmares anyway.
My top fighter gruesomely killed a posse of mud bugs before losing an antennae and ultimately his life to a dungeness.
Not very ethical I know...but I'm now reformed.

R.I.P CARABUS

Silver

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »

To the crawfish in the pictures above, it should be handled and respected just like any other fish we catch.  If keeping it legally, dispatch it.  If being returned, do so without harm.

The crustacean gladiator arena that I was hosting was giving me nightmares anyway.
My top fighter gruesomely killed a posse of mud bugs before losing an antennae and ultimately his life to a dungeness.

R.I.P CARABUS

banx

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »

i'm guessing it wasn't a fair fight.  ;D

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »

R.I.P CARABUS
And your reward for posting pictures of fish on this board is,..... criticism, congratulations!