Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New video: Kyuquot Sound lingcod  (Read 2543 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
New video: Kyuquot Sound lingcod
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xw4KgGey_w

This video is not cinematic like the other recent ones, just a informative episode to show how Dave catches lingcod selectively. I felt pretty gross because we filmed this at 7am and the swells were gaining again, but it was just another day for Dave lol...

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: New video: Kyuquot Sound lingcod
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:05:37 AM »

Watching those swells gave me flashbacks to the time my dad and I did a salmon charter off Tofino and I got immediately and violently seasick as soon as we stopped at the fishing spot :'(

Good episode! Not everything has to be shot with a drone and set to fancy music ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:22:48 AM »

It was actually pretty "calm" that morning, compared to the day before. :o That first day was probably the roughest I've ever been on the WCVI and I can proudly say none of us in the boat got sick lol... Can't say the same thing about the other boats as they all got drunk the day before. :-X

Birkenhead

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:16:23 PM »

Nice video Rod. You shouldn't worry cinematic values as sometimes less is more and this video is a good example of that.

Interesting gear used for those Lingcod. Any chance that you show the setup a bit more in detail? Even a few photos would be great.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »

Nice video Rod. You shouldn't worry cinematic values as sometimes less is more and this video is a good example of that.

Interesting gear used for those Lingcod. Any chance that you show the setup a bit more in detail? Even a few photos would be great.

Thanks, I held off putting this out for awhile because compared to the other ones recently it's not that visually appealing, but the content makes up for it I think.

The terminal setup is pretty simple really. We just used a large leaded jig head and thread a Delta Hali Hawg on there.

http://www.gibbsdelta.com/hali-hawg

Let it sink to the bottom and retrieve a couple dozen cranks, then drop it again until it bounces on the bottom and repeat. Just about all the fish would grab the jig on the retrieve.