Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout fishing in Shuswap  (Read 3123 times)

ajransom

Trout fishing in Shuswap
« on: April 14, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »

Hi all,

Got a cabin booked for a week with the fan during the last week of April. Im going to take my float tube and a couple of fly rods, but have never fished around there.

Any tips or recommendations?

Fitzz

Re: Trout fishing in Shuswap
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 09:21:57 AM »

Look up White Lake in Shuswap.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »

White lake is way to big for a float tube, i suggest giving Westside stores a call.

rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »

I second what Clarkii said, check with the staff at Westside stores they will send you in the right direction for float tube fishing.  There are some well known small lakes in the area.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 08:28:14 PM »

White Lake is indeed a big lake, however having fished it myself several times out of a float tube, it is very doable. My very first rainbow on a the fly came from White. The fish hit a damselfly nymph mitation while I had the spool of my reel lying on the apron of my tube. Now that was exciting :)

When I last fished it, there was a public boat access in the NW corner of the lake near the community hall. From there you can kick along the north shore of the lake and be into fishy water fairly quickly.

White is the only Shuswap area lake I have fished so I don't have info on the other smaller lakes.

rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:52:44 AM »

White Lake is indeed a big lake, however having fished it myself several times out of a float tube, it is very doable. My very first rainbow on a the fly came from White. The fish hit a damselfly nymph mitation while I had the spool of my reel lying on the apron of my tube. Now that was exciting :)

When I last fished it, there was a public boat access in the NW corner of the lake near the community hall. From there you can kick along the north shore of the lake and be into fishy water fairly quickly.

White is the only Shuswap area lake I have fished so I don't have info on the other smaller lakes.

That boat launch is still there.  It is one area where you could use a float tube.  You could also "launch" from the forestry rec site and just stay along the shore.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:15:18 AM »

While yes, you can fish white lake ith a float tube, if an area isn't producing you are left with a long kick to a different spot.  If you don't have a lot of time, this will eat up considerabld amounts. Choose a lake suitable to the size of your craft and your propulsion.