Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pontoon uboat vs framed pontoon vs aluminum car topper  (Read 6574 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
pontoon uboat vs framed pontoon vs aluminum car topper
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »

Ok I admit it.  I am sick of fishing from shore.    I am looking for something to fish the local lakes and interior lakes.  I am a bigger dude so I don't want anything mickey mouse.  I have some questions for you guys. 

1.   I cant swim.  Ok get your laughing over with.    I wear a life jacket in the car toppers I have been in.   my worry is with the pontoon boats.... what happens if a pontoon starts to leak or loses air.   do they slowly lose air giving me a chance to get back to shore or do they just go....  For this reason I am thinking car topper.

2.  If I go with a car topper, my main concern is space.   I will find space for it but its got to be a pain in the but to transport it.   I would then need to buy a trailer.  and then a motor.. and then a battery  and then and then and then.

do any of you have a pontoon that has popped and experienced what happened?  Is it common?

I managed to lose my flipper in a belly boat and it was a long frustrating kick back to camp.   

looking for some guidance from you experts .  please keep the hazing to a minimum.  lol
see ya on the river

GordJ

Re: pontoon uboat vs framed pontoon vs aluminum car topper
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »

Boating and swimming are barely related. You go boating because you don't want to swim. Kind of like pilots fly and parachutist jump. Wear a pfd and don't worry about it. Get the boat that fits what you think you want to do. I presently have 2 or 3 float tubes, 4 pontoon boats, an inflatable canoe, an 8' wooden punt, an 11' alum project and an 20' jet and I have never had to swim.
You, like all new boat owners, are under the impression that you are going to research your choice and get "your" ultimate boat but that isnt reality. Probably a tube then maybe a pontoon, because you are tired of having to pee, then you'll add an electric but can't keep batteries charged. Then you'll look at a small cartopper because the wife/girlfriend/kids/grandkids don't like being left behind and you'll "only use the motor to move from spot to spot" etc, etc. until you end up with a small armada.
At least that's how it went for me.
 And, FYI, tubes have an inflatable backrest for backup flotation, pontoons have at least two bladders.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »

Boating and swimming are barely related. You go boating because you don't want to swim. Kind of like pilots fly and parachutist jump. Wear a pfd and don't worry about it. Get the boat that fits what you think you want to do. I presently have 2 or 3 float tubes, 4 pontoon boats, an inflatable canoe, an 8' wooden punt, an 11' alum project and an 20' jet and I have never had to swim.
You, like all new boat owners, are under the impression that you are going to research your choice and get "your" ultimate boat but that isnt reality. Probably a tube then maybe a pontoon, because you are tired of having to pee, then you'll add an electric but can't keep batteries charged. Then you'll look at a small cartopper because the wife/girlfriend/kids/grandkids don't like being left behind and you'll "only use the motor to move from spot to spot" etc, etc. until you end up with a small armada.
At least that's how it went for me.
 And, FYI, tubes have an inflatable backrest for backup flotation, pontoons have at least two bladders.

so does each pontoon have atleast 2 bladders.... so minimum 4?
see ya on the river

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »

I would go zodiac style boat given what you have posted.  Good weight capacity, best stability, collapsible, easy to set up.  Can row or add a gas or electric motor easily.  Can bring a friend when you want.

West

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »

That's what I have, an inflatable 3 man raft that takes 15 minutes to set up.  Lots of space, stable, and you can toss it into storage when not in use.  I swim really well, but always have a fishing type PFD handy when in the boat regardless.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »

do you have a picture or brand that I should consider for a raft?
see ya on the river

West

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »

There are lots of choice, from something like this:
http://rubberboats.com/
To more expensive choices:
http://saturninflatableboats.ca/
Thing to do is youtube the ones your interested in and decide.  Even the cheap ones will last a long time as long as you take care of them.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »

I am interested in the costco boat. I believe the quality is fine and the price is the quite nice

see the link

https://www.costco.ca/Hydro-Force%E2%84%A2-Mirovia-Pro-RIB-Inflatable-Boat-Kit.product.100244888.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:44:50 PM by psd1179 »

sbc hris

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »

Another vote for inflatable boat. I have a 10' Achilles, folds down into a bag that easily fits in the trunk of a car. It has a rigid inflatable floor. The whole thing takes 10 mins to inflate. It Rows great, I also have an electric and a 2.5 hp outboard for it. It's a slick set up. I picked the boat up on craigslist in excellent shape for $640. They pop up on Craigslist fairly often.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 09:07:41 PM »

Tons to choose from, let alone the Hypalon vs. PVC can of worms.

Find something used.  I bought an 8ft Maxxon, used it a few times, sold it 5 years later for even money.  Don't spend top dollar on a new Aquamarine or upmarket Stryker who are plastered all over Craigs.

As mentioned by others in this thread, they pop up often on Craigs, just pounce QUICKLY when you see one in the length you want for $400-700.

West

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »

Old Blue

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 07:43:35 AM »

I would go zodiac style boat given what you have posted.  Good weight capacity, best stability, collapsible, easy to set up.  Can row or add a gas or electric motor easily.  Can bring a friend when you want.

Agreed on this.  Save your money and don't buy a new one that's cheaper, just keep looking on craigslist....Achillis, Polaris, Avon, Zodiac (only the older ones as newer are POS)  The new knock off ones won't stand up over a few years.
You should be able to find a decent one for $400-$1000
Don't be afraid of the inflatable floors either

JustPuttsin

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »

I have fished from aluminum boats and inflatable as well. I still have my 9.9 ft inflatable with a 55 lb thrust electric motor. Very stable with the aluminum floor in it and never an issue with leaking air with four bladders. I now do most of my fishing on lake's and river's from a 12' kayak. Don't know if u have considered that route. Just food for thought. No batterys or setup required.

Apennock

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »

I've been considering a zodiac for a while but feel a little uneasy taking one on the Fraser.  Am I just being paranoid?