Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour River slide  (Read 18652 times)

4TheKids

Re: Seymour River slide
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »

I have been told by someone who knows that the Seymour steelies hang out at two places, both of which are always closed to fishing. The slide has now changed that. The DFO should monitor the situation and, if needed, close the river to fishing to protect the fish and to protect the anglers. The trails are closed but I don't think that will stop some people from fishing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 09:31:56 PM »

riptide

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »

Yikes , hope he had good tread on his shoes or a pfd ... a definite "don't try this at home kids" vid.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 11:29:52 PM »

I have been told by someone who knows that the Seymour steelies hang out at two places, both of which are always closed to fishing. The slide has now changed that. The DFO should monitor the situation and, if needed, close the river to fishing to protect the fish and to protect the anglers. The trails are closed but I don't think that will stop some people from fishing.
Unlike Salmon DFO is not a regulatory agent for freshwater steelhead fishing.  That falls to FLNRO.

The trails are not fully closed, just between certain points.  Also we have no idea what the river looks like until the water drops.

ride604

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 08:19:55 AM »

At Hyannis point the end of the road was completely fenced, same with the east side of the Rice Lake parking lot, and looking at the picture of the end of Riverside that looks pretty well sealed off too.  So I'm guessing the only accessible portions of the river right now are from the mouth up to Pool 88 and from Spur 4 bridge up, as I would imagine they fenced off the northern most part of Fishermans.  My father caught (and released) a 10 or so pound wild coho doe Monday at the very mouth of the Seymour, just 50 feet below the CPR bridge.  I don't know too much about fish yet but I found it odd that it was somewhat colored (red on gill plate and red stripe down body, still some silver to it) , indicating that it had spent a fair amount of time in fresh water, yet it was caught in tidal water.  Maybe it was turned around or spooked by the slide?  Had lots of fight in it so I wouldn't have thought that it grew tired and just fell downstream.  I'm starting to think the fish should be left alone this winter as it could be a challenging year for them.  And damn, never seen Pool 99 run like that before.

ride604

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 08:29:35 AM »

In addition to my rant, here is a better perspective of typical water height below twin bridges.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »

I don't know too much about fish yet but I found it odd that it was somewhat colored (red on gill plate and red stripe down body, still some silver to it)
Doesn't sound like a coho. The colouration sounds more like a steelhead.

ride604

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »

Initially I thought it was a steelhead but looking at the tail it only had spotting on the upper lobe (and only the uppermost part of it), while I had read that steelhead had spotting on both lobes.  Additionally, the tongue was black with white gums, and looking online it seems that steelhead's mouths are more white. Saying stripe probably wasn't the best way to describe the coloring along the body, as it was more of a hue focusing along the lateral line.  The third fish below is the best representation of what I am describing, but what was caught looked "fresher", didn't have the super defined squiggly quality to the red along its lateral line but more of a diffused and maybe slightly squiggly hue, and had some red hue on the gill plate. 

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:05:05 AM by ride604 »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »

Initially I thought it was a steelhead but looking at the tail it only had spotting on the upper lobe (and only the uppermost part of it), while I had read that steelhead had spotting on both lobes. 

Yep, a coho! :)  The tail spotting is a dead giveaway.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be an armchair critic.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »

Sorry, wasn't trying to be an armchair critic.

Then why do you do it so often? ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 10:39:52 AM »

Then why do you do it so often? ;)

Bazinga!

Having said that, you're still a facist and Ralph is still a doosh! :)

Back to the Seymour R slide...

ride604

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »

Ha, no worries.  So do you think it is possible that the slide had something to do with a spawning phase coho returning to salt, or is that a somewhat common occurence?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »

Ha, no worries.  So do you think it is possible that the slide had something to do with a spawning phase coho returning to salt, or is that a somewhat common occurence?

It's common. We see coho in the salt/estuaries all the time rocking pink under their chrome scales. Generally happens when water levels are too low for them to enter and they stage at the mouths for long periods of time, but there are always exceptions.

Some salmon, like chum and pinks, quite commonly enter the rivers totally ready to go. I've caught many pinks and chum off the beach that look like they should be in the river spawning already and half dead. In fact I've watched, on several occasions, pinks and chum spawn (probably with very low to no success) in brackish water near estuaries on the beaches.

So, I think your father caught a late coho that had nothing to do with the slides.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »

Bazinga!

Having said that, you're still a facist and Ralph is still a doosh! :)

Back to the Seymour R slide...

leave me out of this.

Not unusual for coho to take on colour in the salt close to their natal stream - particularly so late in the season.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »

leave me out of this.

Not unusual for coho to take on colour in the salt close to their natal stream - particularly so late in the season.
Well he just dragged you in, didn't he?  ;D