Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are your reel choices for pinks?  (Read 7638 times)

Ian Forbes

Re: What are your reel choices for pinks?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 09:50:27 PM »

Line twist with a spinning reel happens when the angler keeps reeling when the fish is taking out line. I've seen that happen many times. When the fish runs then ONLY rely on the drag system. DON'T TIGHTEN A DRAG TOO MUCH ON A SPINNING REEL! It can cause problems.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 10:06:22 PM »

I find my line twists on the spin reel after I tried to free it from different snags too many times.  The line stretches a bit and doesn't work properly anymore.  If I keep casting without any snags, then the line never twists.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »

Line twist with a spinning reel happens when the angler keeps reeling when the fish is taking out line. I've seen that happen many times. When the fish runs then ONLY rely on the drag system. DON'T TIGHTEN A DRAG TOO MUCH ON A SPINNING REEL! It can cause problems.

There you go, that could be a newbie kind of disease.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »

As mentioned before, proper line loading is very important to prevent line twisting. Depending on the direction your bail turns you might have to lay the line spool on the floor with the label facing up or down. After several turns, if you notice line twist turn the spool over and continue loading. Putting your spool on a pencil to load your line like you would do for a bait caster or c-pin is not a good idea as it would likely cause line twist.

MoeJKU

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »

Only baitcast for me any type of fishing. spinning rods are ok for kids trout fishing of a dock to help cast. Bait cast in my opinion is way better for drift fishing, and i find the low profile reels great for chucking spoons, same with bass gear.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »

OMG, I have caught many, many pinks and coho off of my spinning reel. Things to remember are to wind the line on correctly. And for me, the use of braided fishing line has helped out immensely. The big advantage of a spinning reel is the ability to cast out small lures and spinners. Baitcaster can do it, but it requires much more finesse.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »

I use a little Shimano Sedona 1500. Even with that I have the reel half mostly full of backing and only have the top third or so spooled with mono. Why keeping changing the bottom 2/3 that you never use anyways?

sumasriver

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »

Cabella's Pro - Guide Spinning reel -  40 bucks on sale. 

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »

I use a Shimano R4000 reel.

Excellent reel - has the drag adjustment on the bottom of the reel so it doesn't get in the way while playing a fish.

Also automatically stops at the right point to have the line against the rod for proper tension while casting.
Has a "trigger cast" mechanism but I don't use it.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:56:06 PM by Easywater »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »

Over my years of salmon/steelhead fishing, I have sent many reels to their early grave.
Relentless cast and retrieve plus strength of the quarry does put a lot of strain on any reel, no matter how well they might be made.
Lately, bait casters or spinning reels I bought had been from Shimano as I have found them to be more reliable than other name brand reels from my personal experience. Something like a Shimano Sahara is a good value for money if you are looking for a spinning reel.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

I use the Penn 6000 reel. I caught many pinks, coho and Chinook on this. I've had it for 4 years now and never had a problem with it!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:04:52 PM by fishmonk »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »

Something like a Shimano Sahara is a good value for money if you are looking for a spinning reel.

X2