Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red Jack Spring  (Read 9412 times)

gman

Re: Red Jack Spring
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 03:50:16 PM »

On Sunday my fishing partner caught a 15 pound red spring buck in the Vedder. I have heard of others. I wondered if they might be strays from some other system.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 04:23:47 PM »

I also caught a red 2 weeks ago at the vedder... thought it was a white till i cleaned it.  ;D

DaN

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 06:55:07 PM »

Justin...I wouldnt call that a red spring, its more orange.   

Fishinaddicts pic looks more like what I would call a red spring.  FishinAddict, when was that fish caught....was that a summer or fall fish?  If I couldnt see the tail in the back ground, I would think its a coho based in the color!
hey Gooey......it was caught late August.  Ya you're right it does look like a coho, but luckily didn't realize i had the tail in the pic.  Funny tho.......i was at Superstore and they were selling wild coho which was red and also white in color  ???

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 08:32:44 AM »

Yes, I realize that FF - you can see the spotted tail in the pic!  I was simply commenting on the colour of the flesh. 

Besides, isnt august the time when you would expect reds to be in the river, not coho or whites.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 12:27:43 PM »

I caught the "red" that gman referred to in his post. It was the same orange/red coloration as Justin's fish. Most of the red springs I have caught in the chuck and on the Fraser have been this color. It is rare, at least in my experience, to catch a spring that is deep red like a sockeye or coho.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 01:47:38 PM »

Yes catching a Red that is the color of a sockeye is rare,  I was able to get two of them this year though, one was 19lbs the other was 21lbs.  But man do they ever taste good!!!!!!!
 another question though, I caught two clipped springs last year.  They were incredible fighters and they were also pretty darn big, both around 35lbs!!!!  One of the pics is in my gallery, does anyone know about these clipped Reds???  I sent the head in via my tackle shop, but I haven't heard anything back about it!!!!  Possibly a tagged fish???
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 01:50:43 PM »

I sent the head in via my tackle shop, but I haven't heard anything back about it!!!!  Possibly a tagged fish???

You won't hear back for a couple of months.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 01:57:01 PM »

It has been about 5 months already!!!!!!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!