Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red Jack Spring  (Read 9411 times)

JustinG

Red Jack Spring
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:36:48 AM »

As posted yesterday, I caught a jack spring 3-4lbs and it was red. Has anyone else had the same type of experience this late in the year??? Maybe it's just a lost fish...

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Red Jack Spring
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 07:59:00 AM »

Nope not lost - just seems like a greater number of reds this year.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 08:18:44 AM »

Back in September - I got a couple of nice red spring jacks on the fly  :).  Here's the photo:

One was about 1.5 pounds, the other maybe 5 - 6 pounds...

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:24:52 AM »

was this fish red (like sockeye) or more orange?  My dads 30lb spring had what I would call orange colored flesh.

Apparrently its a distinct genetic strain on the vedder that is making a comeback.  Coincidentally this 30lbr was a lot cleaner than most adults I see that high up in the river.

JustinG

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 09:07:05 AM »

Definitely an orange / red. I had no idea they existed in the Vedder. Very curious how it's going to work out in the cooking department.

I'll post a couple photos later.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 09:11:22 AM by JustinG »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 09:37:48 AM »

Ya not sure whether thats a red or one of these orange or marbled fish?!?

On a side note, BBQ'ed a nice little jack spring last night...was not impressed with the taste at all.  I have a big whitey in the smoke and if I dont like the results there, those will be my first and last springs of the season!

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 07:25:44 PM »

Was it something like this color?  This was a Jack spring caught from the Vedder.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 07:26:53 PM »

was this fish red (like sockeye) or more orange? My dads 30lb spring had what I would call orange colored flesh.

Apparrently its a distinct genetic strain on the vedder that is making a comeback. Coincidentally this 30lbr was a lot cleaner than most adults I see that high up in the river.

was it a male?  I've noticed that the males are more of an orange color and the female meat is more red. 

phatwop

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 07:30:03 PM »

does anyone have any pic of the white spring meat/ or perhaps these two types of springs side by side? thanks

JustinG

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 09:56:31 PM »

Ok here are the photo's orange/red'ish.

Phatwop - you'll know white meat when you see it. It's the same colour as cod or halibut once the fish is cleaned and bled. Not my personal preference.

phatwop

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 10:09:35 PM »

thank you for the photo. i've never seen a white spring unfortunately. do they look different physically on the outside as far as scales, sheen, spots, tail color go? can you recognize them immediately upon landing them?

thanks again.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 10:14:19 PM »

Whites and reds look exactly the same on the outside.  There is a way of checking a live fish (without cutting it open) - but I wouldn't do it to a fish I was intending on releasing.  Also - I believe that white springs have a stronger odour.

JustinG

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 08:32:04 AM »

I've been told that you can check behind the gill plate. I've done it out of curiosity with both a red and white caught in the salt water and could not see a difference.

Personally, I go by the river and time of season. Odds are you will be able to predict with some degree of accuracy the species of fish.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 09:10:58 AM »

Nice fish Justin, looks like a white Spring that fed more on krill.  Some of the Chums that was killed by some fishers show similar pigmentation.  Also noticed that there are more "marbled" whites in the system the last few years.  However there's a very small run of true reds in Oct.  ;)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 09:25:54 AM »

Justin...I wouldnt call that a red spring, its more orange.   

Fishinaddicts pic looks more like what I would call a red spring.  FishinAddict, when was that fish caught....was that a summer or fall fish?  If I couldnt see the tail in the back ground, I would think its a coho based in the color!