Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek  (Read 9582 times)

Eric Berube

Furry Creek
« on: August 01, 2021, 11:44:15 AM »

Hello,

Ferry Creek is it open for Pink Salmon now?

colin6101

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Furry Creek
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 06:48:22 PM »

Open.
Numbers still low, so tough fishing.
Few caught, mostly by very experienced fly guys.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 12:19:26 PM »

Open.
Numbers still low, so tough fishing.
Few caught, mostly by very experienced fly guys.

Which tide is better in Furry creek, low tide or high tide?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 02:51:48 PM »

My experience - first light is best or more precisely the first few hours after sunrise. After that a rising tide. I like a mid tide best.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 10:14:45 AM »

My experience - first light is best or more precisely the first few hours after sunrise. After that a rising tide. I like a mid tide best.

Absolutely true. right after 7:00am yesterday, the action dead.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 02:30:08 PM »

Absolutely true. right after 7:00am yesterday, the action dead.
Gadzoiks. I shudder to think what time I would have to leave home to get to Furry Creek to get some fishing in before the bite died at 7 am!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 03:42:49 PM »

I've had good success during the day though the size of the run will have an influence. With the meager returns lately best luck invariably be very early. Likewise some parts of the beach fish better later in the day than others. You might understand this just by taking a walk long the beach. Some parts appear empty during the day. In others you'll see fish rising and watching for a bit will understand schools of fish are circulating there. as the tide rises they come closer to shore.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

alindsey

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 08:13:08 PM »

Where would one park at Furry Creek? Thinking about going tomorrow morning before work... will be tight.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 09:27:49 PM »

well, how was it?

I park at Oliver's Landing. You can cross the creek or the train bridge to get to the south beach. The walks along the housing complex are public so you can get to any part of the beach north of the creek that way.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 10:37:48 PM »

Pretty slow out there today. Lots of anglers on the beach. Didn’t see much action there. Crossed over behind Defence Island , no fish rolling over there . Marked a couple on the sounder . No joy today . The wind picked up after lunch so I made the call. Back to the barn ( Miller time )🍺. Try another day .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 05:53:40 PM »

Seen a few waves of pinks today just off the beach. Right under the boat and front , behind 😳. Chucked a spoon through but couldn’t get a bite, weird . Each batch was a few hundred fish . One cast I pitched was right on top of them as they came right towards my boat , I could see my spoon right in the mix but they weren’t interested. This happened 4 times on each wave of fish . I switched to a tiny buzz bomb . That didn’t work either . Maybe they were coho and turn down the pink lures . Who knows . A few beach anglers got lucky I seen .
Guess I’ll wait and see if they open springs in September out in the chuck .

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 06:18:30 PM »

Couple days at work we were towing about half way between Roger Curtis and north arm and I was dropping a pink zinger right into bunches of them. Zero. Nada. Not interested ?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 11:03:18 AM »

Seen a few waves of pinks today just off the beach. Right under the boat and front , behind 😳. Chucked a spoon through but couldn’t get a bite, weird . Each batch was a few hundred fish . One cast I pitched was right on top of them as they came right towards my boat , I could see my spoon right in the mix but they weren’t interested. This happened 4 times on each wave of fish . I switched to a tiny buzz bomb . That didn’t work either . Maybe they were coho and turn down the pink lures . Who knows . A few beach anglers got lucky I seen .
I had no luck this season there. They always arrived in large numbers before I got there, and no other schools came during the time I was there except a few trickle of fish.  I guess it'll take time for Squamish pinks to rebuild to where it was before.  Fraser Pinks have recovered nicely it appears.  More than 1 Million pinks already swam past Mission as of yesterday and it's only August 30th.   

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »

Looks like time to go south of Furry Creek for springs . Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 opening