Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing vehicles  (Read 9461 times)

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle
Re: Fishing vehicles
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 12:49:31 AM »

I've been very happy with Ford vehicles over the past 5 years.  American vehicles in general have stepped it up over the past decade or so.  Some used car suggestions; Ford Explorer AWD 4cyl, Ford Flex, Ford Edge, Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute, Dodge Nitro, Subaru Forester, Subaru Outback.

I have a crossover type wagon/suv. 3 rows of seating.  Big PLUS of some of the larger/longer vehicles is you can fit rods up 11'6 nicely across all 3 rows on the passenger side without disassembling. As for dirt, mud, etc.  I just replace the floormats often.  Everything else can be wiped down.   

hotrod

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 06:09:29 AM »

A good budget like that , I say go ford f-150 crew cab. Fits my dog plus all my gear! very comfy and drives good! Been using one for last fifteen years and love it. Gets me to the river snow, rain , off road and still easy to drive in the city! Some good ones out there for that price range!

hotrod

mvelasco

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 06:47:03 AM »

Jeep patriot would be my choice.4x4, fuel efficiency and practicality. I use my 95 cherokee and it is a gas guzzler but I love it.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »

Your budget should be able to be you into a used Tacoma. I have a 2012 and love it. Reliable with great resale.
always a student

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »

A used Tacoma or 4Runner would be an excellent choice IMO. We have an 08 4Runner Sport and L-O-V-E it. Decent on gas we avg about 10-11L per 100k on the highway and around 12.5l/100k around town. This is with A/T tires the ileage was about 1L-1.5/100 better with all seasons. We taken it fishig into some pretty hairy places/lakes where the only other vehicles were lifted jeeps etc. No problems in 4x4 esp with the locking rear diff engaged. It drives beautifully, you can definitley feel the difference between the 4Runner and say a Nissan Xterra or Pathfinder. We test drove pretty much everything in this category.

If you are going offroad I'd get something based on a TRUCK frame with a solid rear axle instead of a car based frame like the Rav4, Santefe, etc.

We found you really have to look around for a good used 4Runner as the "good ones" get snapped up fast. We were on autotrader etc every day and finally found oen that was just traded in the day before. It was exactly what we were looking for one owner, no accidents all service records, etc. Seems like most of the ones that have been on a dealer's lot for months have some "issues" such as a US model and ex-fleet vehicle with no service history, or some other "red flag." Even with a 1/2 day of haggling we still paid a fair bit for it, but the thing is bullet proff, drives like a cadilac on the highway, and is a tank off road. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:24:50 AM by Spawn Sack »

MoeJKU

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »

Jeep wrangler 4 door. takes me anywhere, ( alot further than most people would even want to take a vehicle), tows a 17ft jet boat, 12.5L/100km, seats five, can sleep in back with seats folded down, fits lots of hunting/fishing gear,  etc.
Just another option.

Suther

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »

Someone just had an f350 stolen a few days ago fishing.
I wouldn't want to leave a valuable vehicle sitting on the side of the road with nobody around to watch it. It only takes a thief 2 minutes to steal your ride. I love my 89 ford bronco 2... it was cheap ($500) parts are readily available at the wrecker and nobody is going to look twice at it when I'm parked behind...well anything really lol

This truck will outlive anything you buy with $20 000 because I could replace the engine and tranny like 12 times with that kind of money(and that's paying labor in a shop to do it).
Also is much cheaper to insure because a) its old and b) there is no reason for collision/comprehensive. Just some liability and specified perils (theft, fire, vandalism, windshield)
Lastly most new vehicles are very costly to lift, and they often suck when lifted because of cv axle angles and stuff.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

Ford f350s are too easy to steal. So are the 450, and 550s. From around 2004-2009.

Explorers - you wouldn't be able to afford to keep fixing it .

Xterra - can get a supercharged v8 if I'm not mistaken.

My verdict - Get a vehicle you don't give 2 shits about. I've got a 99 dodge neon and I'll take that wherever a truck can go. Minus the 4x4 enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:01:45 PM by TheFishingLad »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 12:20:11 PM »

vehicle theft happens everywhere and chances are you will get more from icbc than its actually worth. break ins are far more common. i use an f350 for my fishing rig wether its got the camper on it or just for day use. it is actually good on fuel on the highway but not so good in town. if i were you i would check out the grand Cherokee with the 3l diesel. that way you get the best of both worlds. fuel efficiency, off road capabilities and diesel power for towing. Mercedes Benz makes the engine for jeep.
keep in mind not everyone enjoys driving beaters.

MoeJKU

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »

My verdict - Get a vehicle you don't give 2 shits about. I've got a 99 dodge neon and I'll take that wherever a truck can go. Minus the 4x4 enthusiasts.

That is true i have seen sprint turbos, neons, etc further in the bush than people with new 4wd vehicles.

However if you get an actual 4x4, you can find a lot of places that others can't get to or simple wont go. I love those tough roads that go into high alpine lakes that  you have to winch yourself through to get up there and see absolutely no one.

drock31

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 01:51:39 PM »

I drive a 2007 Toyota fj cruiser. I've had it since new and am at about 200000k with no problems. This vehicle goes anywhere! I can put my boat on top easily, tow my trailer and even sleep in the back. The entire inside is plastic and is easily cleanable and the seats are even water repellent. Overall a great fishin vehicle and I couldn't be happier

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »

Get a 4Cyl.

We have a 2013 Escape with the 1.6 Eco Boost and AWD, and get a combined 9.4 L/100kms.  In mixed city/highway.  It is MILES more smooth and quiet than the 2011 Escape 4cyl we had prior.  (both free from the wife's employer).  Sandwiched between the two Escapes we had a new Equinox 4cyl AWD.  It was the best of the bunch.  More powerful and smoother than the new Escape turbo.

We test drove the previous generation (2012) Forester and it was laughably buzzy (4 speed automatic, YICK!), the interior was hideous.  Like a 90's Civic.  I hear the updated 2013 Forester has a new transmission and generally updated overall.  If it proves to be better all around than the 2012 we tested, that would be my advice for you.  Forrest (or CrossTrek)

If you want to find something a bit older, the previous generation Sorento is rugged body on frame construction and solid reliability.  You can find a nice loaded, 2002-2005 for under $10K.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/ctd/4084683643.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/ctd/4115105052.html

Wildcard option, find a Matrix or Vibe AWD or FWD.  Best combo of space, MPGs and reliability.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »

For a "fishing truck" I would go with something a lot tougher than a Kia Sorrento or similar car based SUV. As others have said get something tough like an F-150, Tacoma, 4Runner, FJ cruiser etc. Go to your library and read the most recent Consumer Reports Auto Issue and look up reviews on what you might buy. Then go test drive lots and don't rush to buy. We take our 08 4Runner into tons of remote lakes and just try to be careful with scratches, rocks, etc. Yes it has a few scratches etc but we get it cut polished and waxed at the end of the season and most of that comes out. I guess at the end of the day buy what you like and can afford. I think the two biggest things are do your research ahead of time and don't rush to buy! So much selection in the lower mainland...take your time.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »

Jeep patriot would be my choice.4x4, fuel efficiency and practicality. I use my 95 cherokee and it is a gas guzzler but I love it.

I have a patriot and love it - great on gas, even the 2wd (that I have) goes nearly anywhere with half decent tires......BUT, that being said, towing capacity is crap so if you own/rent/borrow/plan to buy a trailer, be aware of towing capacities!

Also have a Tribute (wife's).  I'd say not a good fishing vehicle overall for the money you can find better (also not the bestest towing capacity).  Also the interior (specifically seats) stain very easily....

I've been looking for a while (need to upgrade for a towing vehicle) and thinking of going exterra.  it's on a truck (frontier) frame.  the roof rack is the strongest in it's class, has a hideaway for wet/stinky fishing clothes, steps built into the bumpers, plastic interior incl. the rear cargo area with adjustable tie downs, lots of power....the only drawback I've heard of is the gas mileage, as mentioned earlier in this post.... reading hundreds of reviews online by owners and that's the only thing that is mentioned fairly often.  NOTE - 90% of them are US vehicles.  Nissan for some reason couldn't sell them for the pricing here and most were imported.  Out of the 15 I've looked at and test drove, 10 or 12 were US vehicles.  There is of course the US carfax if you're concerned, but if you go to a dealership, many will have both the US and CDN history for you.  The reason I mention is that I was originally concerned about looking at a US vehicle, but after I learned that most of them (the exterras) are, not as concerned now...

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:25:56 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »

my vote is for a newer jeep wrangler, reasonable gas mileage, comfortable to drive, reliable, avaliable in 4 door, and they start brand new at a very reasonable price. plus the rear trunk area is plastic, easy to wash, and water friendly    that or a toyota tacoma, ford escape (awd),