Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing vehicles  (Read 9463 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Fishing vehicles
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »

I'm thinking about buying a newer vehicle suitable for fishing trips as well as for general purposes . A pickup is a possiblity but I don't have much use for one for anything other than fishing. A smaller SUV is most likely the answer.  What type of vehicle would be your choice and how do you deal with wet muddy boots and waders as well as fish coolers and all your gear in your choice of transport ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

coho13

• fish forever and forever fish
Re: Fishing vehicles
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »

For rangers or smaller sized pick-ups are great for this still good on gas but you can keep waders coolers ext. outside so you don't need to smell them all the time

fishtruck

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »

I have a truck. I have two large storage totes (Rubbermaid) that I put all the wet stuff in. Without the lids on, I can still close my tonneau  cover. Wet and dirty boots, waders in one. Fish into second. I actually stand in one to take boots and waders off.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »

While a big SUV is nice with a lot of room, it isn't very practical for everyday use because of fuel usage, parking etc... 

My preference would be a reliable mid sized body on frame SUV.  Has enough room for all your gear and is built to take the punishment when trekking onto logging roads. 

While the new car like CUV's like the Forester, Santa Fe, Rav 4 and CRV to name a few are relatively good on gas and ride nicely in the city, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them out on those roads and trails all the time.  Once in a while is ok but sooner or later, all that wear and tear will catch up to you.

My choice would be a Toyota 4 runner.  Good, solid reliable 4x4.  If you are on a budget, the Nissan X-terra is also an option.

Suther

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »

It's hard to recommend something without a price range. Toyota are good but expensive. Jeep liberty and ford escape are cheaper but still reliable options. They both have relatively efficient v6s. Bigger options like an explorer tend to run v8s or at least big 6s.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »

I'm in the 20-25 K price range. The Escape with a V6 is one I'm considering. I have a 2007 Rav4 and know what you mean about car based SUVs.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Suther

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »

With a budget that big,  I would be looking for something you can buy and then lift a bit and slap some aggressive tires on. Now adays that usually limits you to pick up trucks,  but some other stuff can be lifted too - seen a nice xterra for instance.

fishtruck

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:42:27 PM »

I have a Nissan Frontier(big V6). It has the same engine as the xterra. Be forewarned,it's a real pig on gas.16 -18l per 100 kms

Suther

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »

I have a Nissan Frontier(big V6). It has the same engine as the xterra. Be forewarned,it's a real pig on gas.16 -18l per 100 kms

Never realized the xterra was 4.0l v6 only.  That's silly...

fishtruck

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »

It's actually very powerful. Enough for a truck in it's category. I think it has 261 hp and281ft-lb of torque

grumpy

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 10:59:24 PM »

you should consider a 4 runner with that budget

Suther

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »

It's actually very powerful. Enough for a truck in it's category. I think it has 261 hp and281ft-lb of torque

My point is quite the opposite actually. Im surprised there is no 4-cylinder or smaller v6 option, a 3.0 or something.

I dont think the Ford Escape came 4x4 with the 4-cylinder, but I think the Mazda Tribute did. (Same truck, other than cosmetic differences)

Honestly, I feel the budget is too high for a fishing truck. It sucks to put big scratches or dents into a $25 000 truck. With that kind of budget you could buy one vehicle for general purpose use, and 2nd specifically for fishing. $15 000 on a car or small SUV for city use, and $5000 on an older truck thats already built up (or $3000 for a stock older truck with $2000 left to lift it.)

Fillibert

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 12:04:22 AM »

Subie. A legacy for example. It can handle all logging trails but is not a truck. I can sleep in mine no problem as back seats fold perfectly flat if I have to (good for moving also)

Carich980

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 12:10:39 AM »

Buy something beat up and ugly that you don't mind leaving unlocked. The less likely to get broken into/stolen the better. If I bought a new truck the last place i would take it is fishing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 12:20:22 AM »

you should consider a 4 runner with that budget

You would be hard press to buy a used 4 Runner