Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: salmon float rod and baitcasting reel.  (Read 9403 times)

mr.bean

salmon float rod and baitcasting reel.
« on: September 15, 2013, 07:18:34 PM »

i used my clarus 11 foot spinningrod for the last two years not only for tossing spoons but it also doubled as my floatfishing  rod with  the spinningreel on there. i managed to catch a few cohos  and pinks up the slough and the vedder over  last two years, but its a pain in the ars to get a nice free drift. time to invest  in  a salmonrod  and  i probably like to get a baitcastingreel, just because its more versatile than  a cp reel.  dont wanna start on the lowend witha a convergence, also dont wanna shell out  that much for a sage. thinking mabe  loomis ?  baitcastingreels i  dont have a clue. any advice  would be apreciated.

Animal Chin

Re: salmon float rod and baitcasting reel.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »

I have a Daiwa Lune 253 (round reel). It's pretty sweet. Solid, smooth drag etc. However, if I was to do it again... I target everything but springs, until I get a spring on the Vedder, then I'll be targeting them too... I'd get a low profile reel. They weigh like 5.5-7 oz vs 11 oz for a round reel. A light weight setup (oz  etc..) is what I'm looking for.

As for line capacity, I honestly have never had a fish run anywhere near 100 yards on me on the Vedder.. YMMV .. that's a football field. Side control and 15lb Seaguar blue seems to help.

I have a 10.5 ft St Croix Avid, and that was a good pick. It's med-light but the St. Croix rods seem to have lots of backbone. Maybe it's because it's a fast action tip (bend in tip/top part of rod).

For spinning rods, I really like the Clarus. If you like the action maybe get a casting Clarus. The price certainly is right. Though personally, for float fishing I'd spend more money and time looking for the perfect rod than a reel. All else being equal, I'm happy I chose the medium "lite" vs anything heavier. Just pick a company that makes a more solid version of "lite".

I've had lots of luck at Sea Run in Coquitlam, and they're good guys. Never been, but seems like the guy at First Light in Burnaby knows what he's doing too. Seems these two shops have what river gear fishers need. They'll steer you right.

Note: I"ve never hooked into anything 20+ lbs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:18:53 PM by Animal Chin »

kalex60

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »

I can suggest the diawa lexa it is a low profile reel but it puts out over 20 pounds of drag
It tosses spoons off of it also can tame big spring in fast water. I can also recommend first light in Burnaby
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:30:47 PM by kalex60 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:04 AM »

Last year I started using a 9' Shimano Clarus baitcasting rod and a Chronarch low profile reel. I have been using them for either float fishing or casting spoons. A good combination.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:23:49 AM by Rodney »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:13:06 AM »

That Clarus rig looks sweet
Dont write off the Convergence, Ive been using mine for trolling lure casting bar fishing and drifting for over a decade quite happily.

ShaunO

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »

I've been fishing my Convergence for 7 years now.  It's a great river rod.

I've been told that Wholesale Sports (at least the Nanaimo store) has the new Shimano 400D and the 10'6" Convergence as a combo for ~$320.  That's a sweet deal as the reel is selling for ~$380, so you basically get a free (quality) rod.

MoeJKU

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »

I would suggest looking at Lamiglas. I know more guides that put them through the ringer every year, and stand up. They don't break the bank, but outperform the ones that do. Only rod brand i will buy. Great warranty as well.

Tuckster

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »

Last year I started using a 9' Shimano Clarus baitcasting rod and a Chronarch low profile reel. I have been using them for either float fishing or casting spoons. A good combination.

Based on your advice Rod, i just got a Fenwick HMX steelhead/salmon 10ft salmon rod to suit a bantam curado I used to to use for bass and pike in ONT. Going to try float fishing a wooly bugger for pinks tonight....its a little big for it, but I want to see how it handles.

losos

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »

I'm using similar setup to Rodney's. Shimano Calrus 9' with Shimano Curado 300 DSV. Curado is a
low profile reel that fits perfectly in palm , has a lot of stopping power and line capacity comparable to the round baitcasters.
There is newer low profile reel perfect for all salmon species and it is Abu Garcia Torro Winch. It has incredible stopping power as well
as line capacity. I prefer Curado because of easy spool access.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:36:16 PM by losos »