Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inflatable Fishing Float Tubes  (Read 9403 times)

azafai

Inflatable Fishing Float Tubes
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »

Hi
any thoughts, tips, recommendations...
what is the best you suggest.. Barnds, Types, Sizes....others..

thanks.

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Inflatable Fishing Float Tubes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »

The v boat style like the fish cat 4s are the best, you sit higher out of the water. They are the most expensive though.

If you are thinking about staying on the cheaper, lighter, more packable side, go with a U boat style over the standard round float tube. If you have ever used a round float tube before you will quickly realize how much easier getting in and out of the U boat is, which will be far more enjoyable to use.

Ebay is a great place to keep your eyes peeled on. A few years ago, I picked up a brand new in the box creek company u boat for about $60 us. Just kept bidding on auctions until I got one for what i wanted to spend.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »

The v boat style like the fish cat 4s are the best, you sit higher out of the water. They are the most expensive though.

If you are thinking about staying on the cheaper, lighter, more packable side, go with a U boat style over the standard round float tube. If you have ever used a round float tube before you will quickly realize how much easier getting in and out of the U boat is, which will be far more enjoyable to use.

Ebay is a great place to keep your eyes peeled on. A few years ago, I picked up a brand new in the box creek company u boat for about $60 us. Just kept bidding on auctions until I got one for what i wanted to spend.

AGREED,  however, there are some good "used" deals on the tubes.
Depends on how much you'll use it.
Not hard to get your feet wet for under a $100 ( and it'll pick up the slack  in case of an emergency) BUT you'll definitely want to go with the U if you're going to go out on a regular basis,
Then there's the Toon, then the jon boat, then the..........

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:51:40 PM »

-depends on the intended use or are you just looking for cheapest way to get on the water/

--Back packing... there are hybrids like the Supercat.. not to be confused with the Outcast Fat cat "V" shape.
--Supercat seat folds to form a pack frame and the separate pontoons fold in to make a narrow pack for trail
--Outcast Fat cat.. has foam and I think air inflateable option for the seat in a V shape boat.

--Bucks Bag.
--Bag Maker
--Caddis.. USA made models have warranty.

--You can get light weight tube for back packing could partially deflate and inflate when you arrive or carry light weight plastic pump or tire tube heavier in round or shaped tube have to use bicycle type pump or electric to inflate.

--Some now have built in or after market inflatable seat .. if using neoprene waders you get some floatation from the wader
--round or U shape without floating seats... your bum is in the water thus getting some drag when you try to go any distance at speed... on the other hand you are your own wind anchor and not as likely to get blown around in light winds.  I like this low in the water style as you are closer to the water and can observe what is going on .. it is quite a different feeling then sitting higher up.
--Can guarantee you will fall getting  in or out of a round boat eventually but I find this the most relaxing for fishing  from on a small trophy lake.

-Definitely don't like to be around motor boats in these rigs.
--They come in different tube sizes so get one that as suitable for your weight.
--These are made for still water do not use them in a river.

azafai

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »

thanks very much for all responses.
I am not looking for an economic one.  I was looking for one with best options and best stability with reasonable pricing, somewhere in middle or upper middle range... stable and reliable.
Now I know it has to be either a V shape or a U shape one.... I don't know which is the better one based on experience ...
any input, brand names, models, and other inputs ... are still very much appreciated.

thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:48:02 PM by azafai »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »

I have this creek company u-boat. This auction is ending soon but they usually relist them. Well priced, easily packable, it even has should straps for carrying it on your back, and easy to get in or out of being a U instead of an O

http://cgi.ebay.com/Creek-Company-Original-U-Boat-Float-Tube-/270382134810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ef407f61a#ht_322wt_150

Fred's has a good deal on the fish cat 4 deluxe right now. This is what I would probably go for based on your post.

http://www.fredstackle.com/Specials_c_34.html

azafai

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 03:50:15 PM »

thanks again
fish cat 4 is the one..

tight lines.  :)

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »

super fat cat:) tons of room, picked one up on  this forum a year ago or so and love it! Id suggest getting a scotty anchor mount to strap to the back.............ill try to post pics later

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »

here are some really easy to do "custom" mods you can do for any float tube
http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/floattubeireland/float_tube_rod_rest_rack.html

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »

Just my opinion, but unless you are planning on hiking into lakes, you would be much better off getting s pontoon boat. I fished for years out of belly boats and you couldn't pay me to go back...

That said if your heart is set on a belly boat get the fishcat 4 delux. About twice a fast going as the standard donut and the area in the 'bow' can be used to store an anchor. Although as I said before I wouldn't buy one..
Actions speak louder than words.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:11 PM »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Actions speak louder than words.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:19:44 AM »

If your going to go with a Vboat then get the one with the AIR seat not the foam. you sit higher in the air seat one and the back V part doesnt totally fill with water, of course this depends on how much you weigh. If your around 220-250lbs then i think you may be pushing it for these things and a pontoon would then be your best bet.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »

yeah i weigh 245 and still sit fairly high and comfotable in my v boat but yeah would definetely reccomend the blow up seats....

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »

Just my opinion, but unless you are planning on hiking into lakes, you would be much better off getting a pontoon boat. I fished for years out of belly boats and you couldn't pay me to go back...

That said if your heart is set on a belly boat get the fishcat 4 delux. About twice a fast going as the standard donut and the area in the 'bow' can be used to store an anchor. Although as I said before I wouldn't buy one..

100% agree with the above comments from SC, especially the bolded part.