Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Angler Rescued On The Vedder  (Read 9366 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Angler Rescued On The Vedder
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »

-lifejacket, staff and throw rope. standard equipment.
-you go down to the river... no intent to wade in.. fishing from shore so no need for the equipment.
--then buddy upstream wades into water you wouldn't go into and gets into trouble...

--here's my happy ending story... I carry in my vest.. first aid kit, survival kit and space blanket standard equipment... I'm bugging a friend to get proper gear so he borrows my vest to give it a try.. while crossing a creek on ice he breaks through.. not deep but gets socked..  friend with him has no equipment but my vest has space blanket and water proof matches... they at least had an axe with them.. so got a fire going and with space blanket kept warn until his partner could get help as he was too cold to walk out on his own.
--was happy to be of assistance to a friend without even being there to say I told you so.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 12:01:17 AM »

Only time I ever fell in the river was 2 years ago in December.

Was crossing the river at a section where the water was around waist deep. I ALWAYS cross well above the next run to give myself room if I do so happen to fall and it was a good thing I was in that practice. My shoe lace had come undone and I hadn't noticed. Half way across I stepped on the shoe lace and bailed hard. Knowing I had no chance of recovering I threw myself onto my back. I'm almost positive the only thing that saved my life that day was the fact I was wearing my hood on my raincoat, which in turn deflected any water from getting down my waders. I ended up catching my footing about 3 or 4 feet away from the drop off of the run. It scared me pretty bad.

One good thing to note was the guy fishing upriver of me saw it and dropped everything and started running as fast as he could immediately. Good to know there are people out there that really do care and will help if needed.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 06:48:25 AM »

Another thing I forgot to recommend if you do find yourself falling into the river, with everything going on and you are still able to swim, always try to swim out, it should only be a last resort to try and stand up again because with the way the current is, you can easy stand up, get your footing only to realize one or both of your feet are trapped between a rock in waist deep water and you can only last so long at that point before you drown.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »

Just always remember if you do fall in and find yourself going down stream make sure you go feet first on your back and on a slight angle. When going down on a slight angle it will help the current push you towards shore. Just make sure that the angle you choose is the one where your head is closer to the shore you want to go to. Trust me it works.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 08:33:23 AM »

Saw Rodney driving toward the Hydro bridge yesterday morning, was it him ? Also saw two guys swilling Millers there, maybe one of them had one too many !

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »

Saw 2 people wading across the river below Borden (I think it was Borden) on Monday.

The taller guy made it across no problem but had to come back to help his shorter friend (her?) across.

Looked like it was upper-thigh level - way too deep for me.

ChumChaser

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »

Thanks for the tip, that is good to know!

Just always remember if you do fall in and find yourself going down stream make sure you go feet first on your back and on a slight angle. When going down on a slight angle it will help the current push you towards shore. Just make sure that the angle you choose is the one where your head is closer to the shore you want to go to. Trust me it works.

azafai

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »

thanks for the great advice.

please all of you buy a life jacket and wear it always.

I am also a survivor and know how quick and how unpredictable it can happen.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »

Saw 2 people wading across the river below Borden (I think it was Borden) on Monday.

The taller guy made it across no problem but had to come back to help his shorter friend (her?) across.

Looked like it was upper-thigh level - way too deep for me.

i to have seen many people wade across near borden probly the same spot as you saw them and its about 3 feet, but is fast , i crossed it once my dad got across ok but had to wade back to help me as that was last season and i was shorter then 5 feet, probly never gonna cross there again, but atleast theres lots of nice runs :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

brownmancheng

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »

how does the wading belt help??

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »

how does the wading belt help??

In case you fall, it prevents water from rushing into your wader.
It gives you more time to either swim to shore or stand up before your wader becomes totally flooded.
It is a good idea to always keep it on tight around your waist. :)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 12:18:57 AM »

This is what I use every time out now, Onyx Camo PFD $89.00 on ebay with free shipping.

doja

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 12:43:58 AM »

You know....all the safety gear in the world can't save an idiot.... just saying. ;) :D

Moral of the story... think before you do...

That WILL save your life!

A life jacket may very well NOT save your life if pinned against a log.

Best advise I can give is think of all the dangers and scenarios you may encounter... And how to deal with them effectively....  That will prepare you for an emergency better than any safety device ever will.

And know your limits as to not get in over your head. I swim well and have more fear of being injured walking along the river then from the river it's self. If you don't swim well or keep in good shape don't put your self in a situation that may involve swimming.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »

Doja: I agree 99.99%
--I stay within my limits, problem is when Buddy... takes a bath... at the least I can throw the life jacket I brought and hope for the best.
--Also lead as an example with the required equipment.

--Part of having the equipment is to test it.
--When belly boats first came out we went to a pool with our fishing club and under supervision each of us tipped ourselves out and swam free... Now I've never had to do this in real situation but am confident that I could.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »

I am an excellent swimmer but I'm also a skinny guy and when the frigid water hits my chest/back it makes it almost impossible to breath, think and swim properly.