Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Is Your BC Election Prediction?  (Read 9356 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: What Is Your BC Election Prediction?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »

Wow and I thought I was going out on a limb. ;D

The Liberals got this election in the bag if your political prediction is anything like your predictions in hockey. ;D ;D ;D

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 12:21:10 PM »

Liberals too many.  44

Other: Not enough  41

salmon river

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 01:22:58 PM »

Until there is a new centre or centre right party we will never see an NDP government again. They do not have enough support to win an election unless the centre or right is split.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 08:37:47 PM »

The problem with BC politics is it's so flippen' polarized. There seems to be this  extreme left or right ideology so deeply ingrained that it outstrips common sense and in some cases defies logic.BC needs a third party that represents the people of the province , not those who gave small fortunes to get a "friendly" elected. I would liked to have seen what Gordon Wilson might have done as premier or what Mike Harcourt would have accomplished if it wasn't for some of the dumb things they did while in office. There hasn't been much to choose from the latest gene pool specimens either. Give me an honest person to lead , not the beholden parade of the usual suspects.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:41:26 PM by Novabonker »
http://

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:34 PM »

BC's politics has always been polarized as far back as I can remember. Socreds vs. NDP and now Liberals vs. NDP

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »

50 Liberal
34 NDP
1 Independent

My prediction is looking pretty close right now. ( I was the first with this prediction ) The one independent Vicki Huntington in Delta South against Liberal Wally Oppal is a close raise. Margin is like 30 votes right now.

If it were to end right now it would be Liberals 50 and NDP 35

Oh and the STV is a clear no. Not a surprise there.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

salmon river

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 05:38:49 AM »

BC is really not that much different than Alberta, since WAC Bennett got elected in 1952 we always elect right wing governments except for 3 Occasions in the last 57 years...albeit the Social Credit were not as extreme as El Gordo.

This is the 4th election in a row Campbell received most votes and the NDP only seem able to win if the centre - centre right vote is split...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »

BC is really not that much different than Alberta, since WAC Bennett got elected in 1952 we always elect right wing governments except for 3 Occasions in the last 57 years...albeit the Social Credit were not as extreme as El Gordo.

This is the 4th election in a row Campbell received most votes and the NDP only seem able to win if the centre - centre right vote is split...

Wrong. This is his third term not fourth.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 03:05:10 PM »

This is Campbell's third term but Salmon River is correct in that it's his 4th election. The first one under his leadership the Liberals got more popular votes but the NDP got more seats.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »

This is Campbell's third term but Salmon River is correct in that it's his 4th election. The first one under his leadership the Liberals got more popular votes but the NDP got more seats.

Yes thats true. I mis read his post.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »

Well this craps all over for four years- LET'S GO FISHIN"! :D
http://

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »

Disappointed in the results of course and that means it will be a lot more hard work by many volunteer groups that are working to protect our fish stocks and their environment for the future.

One thing I have learned by working on fishery issues over the years this government only gives lip service to this that so many of us care about so passionately.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »

"One thing I have learned by working on fishery issues over the years this government only gives lip service to this that so many of us care about so passionately"

Can't agree more. Only I think it goes to say. That maybe people who base everything on how much money they can make over how much it will cost them and everything else, become short sighted. :'(

But at the end of the day it always gets dark. :-\ :-\ :-\ :'(

Crying in my beer :'(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »

Yes you are correct troutbreath. The trouble is our society and many of us just want to have more and more, a lot more than we really need or can afford. Our generation now seems to expect this and it will go on unabated, forever. Even though I am no economist this I believe is why we and the world are in the mess we are in, bigger is not always better.

Here in the Fraser Valley some of the present Liberal MLA's want more growth which means more food producing land is often taken out of the ALR so more development can take place so more people can move in. This in turns makes more money for some of their supporters that include developers, real estate agents etc..

We then have more people commuting on our busy highways which means we need more highways and new bridges (Port Mann ) to get them quickly to the Lower Mainland and Vancouver.

We then need more gravel sources to make concrete and asphalt to build these Gateway projects so lets get some from areas like Brown's Pit that threatens our aquifers and more aggregate from the Fraser River that threatens and damages vital fish habitat.

Now we have more cars on the highway emitting more greenhouse gases so lets put on a carbon tax so it looks like we are trying to do something to control this that is contributing to climate change. But we still must keep growing to keep our economy strong.

Gosh now we need more power for this growing economy and population growth so lets build IPP's on our rivers. If we build them where people cannot see them they will not see the damage they are causing to the environment. We also can call it Green Power!!

We can also expand fish farms as we need all those jobs it creates and lots of money can be made by the companies selling these Atlantic salmon.

These farms of course contribute to sea lice problems that is effecting our wild stocks not to mention do we really know how safe these fish are to eat.

I could go on but I guess I am just crying in my beer also and I should move into some far away area where the fishing is good and become a hermit. I imagine many of you that read this will tell me this is what I should do but maybe I should start a BC Fisherman Party but the trouble with that is the fish and the environment can not vote.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:14:45 PM by chris gadsden »

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 07:49:44 AM »

The biggest disappointment from my point of view is that less than 50% of British Columbians voted. What a shame ! The reason from what I hear is that many say "why vote when it won't make any difference?" This is why I supported the proposed STV system. While not perfect, it would give every voter some say in the outcome. The result would be a more accountable government rather than the one arrogant dictatorship we ended up with.
"One man of courage makes a majority"