Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prime time for dew worms  (Read 9417 times)

fishyfish711

Prime time for dew worms
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:23:56 PM »

Any worm fisher people out there could take advantage of a very good week of dew worm catching. Any evening where there  is rain, warmer temperatures and darkness is the perfect recipe for dew worms. Grab a flash light and walk up and down the sidewalks looking for the worms to be "getting together" on the surface of some lawns. Try grabbing them with your first two fingers and try to grab at the point where the worm is still in the ground then pull slowly horizontal to the ground to disengage the setae or hair-like projections. Although hard on the back, bending over, it can be a fun, challenging little hobby. The worms can last a long time in a container in soil in the fridge. Unless you use a ice cream container and your partner has a middle of the night hunger issue. If you go through lots over a longer period time it can be a good idea to buy one of those smaller styrofoam containers. The worm has lasted the test of time as one of the earliest and most productive  forms of bait. When the fly's aren't working put a little piece on the end of your floating or sinking line. You will be glad you did.

Robert_G

Re: Prime time for dew worms
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:06:16 AM »

I used to do that quite often as a kid. And you are right, Warm and wet time during the spring at night will produce them by the hundreds. It's as easy as it gets.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:38:29 AM »

Be prepared to be stop by the police and questioned what you're up to  ;D

fishyfish711

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »

I thought about mentioning that assassin. I have a few stories to tell on the subject. When I was about 17 in the early eighties I had a lowered Datsun 510 Red on the top white on the bottom and racing pin stripes. I was getting worms on the boulevard of the graveyard at 49th and Boundary Vancouver. Two events that night. A blood curdling scream from something in a tree five feet me. Coyote or racoon or something almost made me jump out of my skin. Later that evening police show up. Ask me what I am doing. I tell them I am getting worms. He says yeah right a guy with a car like that isn't getting worms on Saturday night. After showing him the container full of dew worms he reluctantly gave up his pursuit. I don't want to hear any wise cracks about why the worm population was so good around a graveyard. LOL.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »

I had a similar experience picking dew worms at my local elementary school. I was so engrossed in my picking I didn't noticed a couple of cops were watching me. They were convinced that I wasn't doing anything illegal when I showed him my catch. Here's a hint for you pickers: use a flashlight with a red lense. It doesn't spook the dew worms and you catch more.

Robert_G

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »

So true. I always found that if you moved the flashlight in a way that the dimmer area of the light would hit the worms, it would be light enough to see em, but not spook em. I never tried the lense thing though. I can see how that might work.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »

Back home in the UK i used to get the hose out and soak the grass just as dark was approaching and got all the worms i needed
No need to wonder into cemetery grounds and get the pants scared off me ;D
worm charming is a sport in the UK
yes we are a crazy bunch
take a look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwEJEDsWBc

speycaster

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 06:46:56 PM »

Put red cellophane over the front of the light stops them from hustling back into their hole. Also doesn't get people phoning the police as the red light is hard to see from a distance.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:53:57 PM »

hmmm red light might get seen by someone you dont want to attract

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »

I've used tens of worms this past few weeks and never had to get my own. My secret? My wife has an incredible garden and when ever i say I'm going to dig for some worms she freeks out that i'm going to dig up some bulb,plant,etc. So out she goes and collects them for me. I respect her for minding the garden.lol

Does your wife have a sister ? ;D

fishyfish711

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »

I had a similar experience picking dew worms at my local elementary school. I was so engrossed in my picking I didn't noticed a couple of cops were watching me.

Warning: As the assassin said it can become engrossing. One day I was in a field and a less than desirable person walked by me and although I should have watched where he was going I was so engrossed in what I was doing I didn't bother and sure enough he opened my door and stole the change from my ashtray. Partly my fault. Should have locked the doors, should not have left change in my ashtray and lastly I should have forgot about the worms and followed him to my vehicle.

Anyway does anybody have any thoughts on the success rate catching fish with  dew worms compared to garden worms? I always seemed to prefer the dew worms. What do you think? Like the cellophane advice.  Have thought about soaking my lawn but I prefer to only use the worms in my lawn when I am desperate and don't have time to travel. I usually throw a handful on my lawn when I get many to start a culture in my own lawn.

Any other advice on storage feeding etc.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:10:52 PM by fishyfish711 »