Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What will you do when there is no more salmon retention in the LML?  (Read 9852 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: What will you do when there is no more salmon retention in the LML?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »

Maybe the fishing won't be that great but the thought of near empty stream banks fills me with expectation! Loads of room to fish for what remains of salmon trout and steelhead in my declining years. Oh boy!

I'm sure we'll see good seasons in future. Maybe they won't match 2003s pink returns or 2010s sockeye return but there will be good years.

After that - I can angle for carp. They'll still be trout fishing. I bet we'll see bass more and more.  Who knows perhaps we'll catching bonito & Pacific Barracuda in English Bay or Albacore may move into the inside waters.
Amen Ralph.  I'm also excited by the low license sales - hopefully it's an indication that this fall will be a little less crazy than the past few years. 

I have no problem with restrictions on retention.  I see no reason that the chinook fisheries on the Vedder can't continue even with reduced returns - these are wholly introduced runs pumped out by the hatchery just for harvest.  And I have endured plenty of coho seasons where it seems like hatchery fish are few and far between - that just makes it more rewarding when you do find one.  Not opening the Fraser is not the end of the world.  I'm surprised that retention of wild chinook has been allowed in the Fraser for as long as it has.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »

Going right from rat to chicken? That's a bit of a leap, thought maybe pidgeon first?

Squaaaaab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsd-CPDOX18
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:01:14 PM by Rieber »

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »

Skating a dry across the Fraser for atlantic salmon will be fun. Save the drive from here to Skeena

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 08:17:30 PM »

We'll have more Atlantic salmon escapes in the future. As Chris will say "the future is bright" ;D

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 09:42:58 PM »

I’d be OK with reduced limits or C&R salmon fisheries (aside from the fact it meant stocks are in poor shape). Some of the most enjoyable times have been when retention was closed so the meat fishers stayed home and you practically get the whole place to yourselves.

Also I think there will be retention fisheries in hatchery supported rivers like the Vedder & Cap for a long while yet.

If the situation gets so dire that even C&R is not permitted, then there is always bass, carp, and other coarse fish which can be an interesting challenge. Outside the LML there will still be amazing interior and caribou trout fishing. IMVHO getting value out of your fishing time is mostly a frame of mind, just about anything can be fun with the right attitude. So as long as there's somewhere to wet a line, I think I'll be there.

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »

Don't buy salmon from stores, that's the biggest support to commercial fishing!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »

I am not to worried, they say they don't expect the Pacific Ocean to get as warm as it was in 2015 for the next 30 years. Salmon habitat is shrinking due to development but there seems to be a movement to perserve habitats as well.

I ain't hitting the panic button yet. If runs are smaller in 2021 I will buy the button.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 10:15:01 PM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 07:46:52 AM »

A man ahead of his time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XLHTILxnQ

in the 70s National Lampoon magazine did a spoof called "Dog Fishing in America" ... same idea.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 02:29:55 AM »

For sockeye, I guess I will have to continue relying on my friendly FN neighbour and his ceremonial catch surplus.........quite from Milo.... it's been 3 days and no one has said a word about this?? Purchasing off a native is ILLEGAL and don't backtrack and say " he gives me fish free of charge ". Even if it's traded for booze it's still illegal and " his ceremonial fish to boot?? This is fuc#ed a no one noticed in 3 days. That the biggest problem we have is non native purchasing off natives

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »

For sockeye, I guess I will have to continue relying on my friendly FN neighbour and his ceremonial catch surplus.........quite from Milo.... it's been 3 days and no one has said a word about this?? Purchasing off a native is ILLEGAL and don't backtrack and say " he gives me fish free of charge ". Even if it's traded for booze it's still illegal and " his ceremonial fish to boot?? This is fuc#ed a no one noticed in 3 days. That the biggest problem we have is non native purchasing off natives

Man, it took a while to get a bite on that one.  :)

Trade for booze, eh? What a f***ed up racist stereotype!

FYI, FN people gift fish to their friends and non-FN relatives or barter them for other groceries. It is deeply embedded in their tradition.
But you probably can't wrap your head around the concept of having aboriginal FRIENDS, can you, cammer?  >:(

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:59:07 AM by milo »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »

they are all millionaires so there is nor reason for them to sell fish, except as charity to those who can't fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »

Caught in the act. With no retort. Nice job committing a crime against fishery act.   Chiefs sure the hell are ralphyboy,,,look into it, ,milo show me medical documentation that first nations metabolism is salmon dependant?   Please I'm kinda astounded by that one as well

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »

LOL Cammer, I am a millionaire! A few times over and it's no big deal. A person born here 50 or 60 years ago has to have been stupid not to be a millionaire. Being a millionaire hasn't meant anything since the 60s. A million that's just chump change. I guess from your POV it's a crime if an "Indian" is worth a million. ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:04:35 PM by RalphH »

poper

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 12:10:06 PM »

Where can I get gifted some fish?Im having a BBQ