Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What will you do when there is no more salmon retention in the LML?  (Read 9853 times)

milo

• Old Timer

Given climate change, low ocean survival, commercial overfishing and the demographic explosion in the LML, I foresee an ongoing salmon fishing ban for the recreational sector in the years to come. Since I am not keen on fishing without having a reasonable chance of landing a fish that I can harvest, I have already started making the switch to alternative fisheries (mostly interior lakes) and other hobbies (hunting). I don't think I will be buying non-tidal salmon and steelhead tags anymore.

Some of you mentioned fishing for pike minnows, bass, perch, carp and other fresh water species as an alternative. I fished lots of those back in my pre-Canadian days and while it's fun, it is, IMO, no match for salmon and trout fishing.

What are you guys planning on doing when salmon retention opportunities are gone? Are you cool with catch and release only?

sg6804

Re: What will you do when there is no more salmon retention in the LML?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »

I would be happy with a catch and release fishery for all salmon/ trout/ steelhead in all rivers tidal and non tidal forever , after all its about the thrill of the catch  if you want fish to eat then buy it from the store   ,

I also think the worst thing that ever happened was to allow a sport fishery for sockeye in the river should have left it closed to us and  maybe the flossing fishery would have never gotten like it is today

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »

By that time technology advances will likely allow for robot fish or robo-fish. I would be ok with that option. Magnet lures?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:50:49 PM by Derp »
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »

Sasquatch investigation, ghost hunting, gold panning and carrot farming. I think the under-utilized and often overlooked carrot is going to make a strong run in 2019. The carrot top has some promising hallucinogenic properties that some might find appealing.

As you know I've expanded the range of trout lakes that I'll travel to. I think with my weekend free now and once my shoulder surgery has healed, I'll look to more weekend fishing trips. May even get back into golf if my shoulder rehab works out and allows me to do that again.

I've contemplated Commercial Distillation as a possible venture. I'm not sure if there is enough life left in me to pursue this on a full time basis. The fun is in the set up of the operation and a little R&D. I was just about to say if a guy found a younger partner, but then my mind sidetracked and I thought of Ian and then of Milo and then of my wife kicking my butt in court. Oh my that went sideways quickly. I've been smelling toast all day today - is that a bad sign? :-\

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:02:13 PM by Rieber »

Birkenhead

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »

I fish the salt tidal waters out in the Strait but do not fish the Fraser, Vedder rivers et al as the rivers here are over crowded (when open.) Instead, I fish the interior rivers and lakes which I combine with camping and other outdoor interests.

Tangles

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »

If there's ongoing fulltime closure on all salmon I'd admit local fishing as an activity is done for me. I love the interior but realistically how many of us can do more than a couple weeklong interior trips in a year. Most people have jobs and families, hence time and $ restraints.
I'm not going to start roughing out with the kids and seniors off Lafarge and Como, neither I'd bother with bass or carp species. I catch a few pikeminnows for my small kids to get excited but wouldn't bother when they grow up.
I've seen some pretty decent sturgeon landed from shore locally but then their health is also related to salmon abundance.
So yeah, if there's no salmon I'd be done with LML fishing.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 04:16:34 PM »

...after all its about the thrill of the catch  if you want fish to eat then buy it from the store.

For many of us, that is not the case. There is much more thrill to the catch when you kill it, bleed it and dress it yourself.
It's hard to describe, but it gives pleasure in a visceral way - something C&R only could never do for me.

Another thing is that most of the salmon/steelhead available in stores today are farmed. It goes against my gut to include those in my diet.

As long as there is a sustainable recreational fishery in the ocean in the future and the two-day possession quota remains in place, I will take a two-day guided trip off Uke once a year to source my salmon protein (and maybe halibut) for the year and, like Rieber, will look into making more full-weekend trips to the interior.

For sockeye, I guess I will have to continue relying on my friendly FN neighbour and his ceremonial catch surplus.  ::) :P

standalone

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 04:22:01 PM »

I am Okay with C&R. but thing is if the other groups have right to harvest, the recreational should have the same right too. All Canadian are equal after all.

BananasQ

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »

I am finding that more and more that outdoor activities and the lower mainland just don't co-exist well anymore, due to sheer weight of numbers.  Take the Quarry Rock hike, which used to be nice, but now is a gong show and you need to be there before 8 am for parking. The pink runs were thick with people (not catching fish). Belcarra crabbing is so busy and picked over nowadays that its not even worth dropping traps. As such, I am going to be striking out to new grounds (not saying where, not that daft) and will still use the local, stocked lakes for fishing with the kids.  Seeing some of the inspirational pictures taken by those who go find their own spots, I know that is what I need to do myself - even if I dont catch anything, some peace and solitude sounds just great.  This year is the kick up the rear to go do it.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »

I will soon be starting up the Lower Mainland Rat fishing Assoc.

This will be the biggest fishing league in the world by 2019.

So far we have an 18 Tournament schedule which is comprised of Burger King MacDonalds and Wendys parking lots.
All tournaments will be at night and on the weekend as this is prime time feeding hours.
All equipment tackle and bait will be available for purchase at the first three events so don't forget your wallet.
The test fishery has seen great numbers and all Rats during this were released.
You can keep or release any and all Rats but we encourage release of larger breeder Rats.
The first twenty to sign up will get an official 100 % Rat fur hat so don't delay and tell your friends.
See you there!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »

So far we have an 18 Tournament schedule which is comprised of Burger King MacDonalds and Wendys parking lots.
All tournaments will be at night and on the weekend as this is prime time feeding hours.
All equipment tackle and bait will be available for purchase at the first three events so don't forget your wallet.
You can keep or release any and all Rats but we encourage release of larger breeder Rats.
The first twenty to sign up will get an official 100 % Rat fur hat so don't delay and tell your friends.
See you there!
;D ;D and donot forget your nightlight.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »

For many of us, that is not the case. There is much more thrill to the catch when you kill it, bleed it and dress it yourself.
It's hard to describe, but it gives pleasure in a visceral way - something C&R only could never do for me.

I really enjoy crabbing / prawning for these exact reasons. Sometimes I can hardly keep fishing knowing those little ba$tards are climbing all over my gear. Pulling up to the float is more exciting then walking into your favourite hole and seeing nobody there.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »

See you there!

This is well thought out. I'm in. This is an ethical alternative to salmon fishing. I have no problem in culling out the rats - especially that little one from the Boston Bruins - Marchant.

Rat is the new chicken. :P

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »

Going right from rat to chicken? That's a bit of a leap, thought maybe pidgeon first?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 06:21:53 PM »

Maybe the fishing won't be that great but the thought of near empty stream banks fills me with expectation! Loads of room to fish for what remains of salmon trout and steelhead in my declining years. Oh boy!

I'm sure we'll see good seasons in future. Maybe they won't match 2003s pink returns or 2010s sockeye return but there will be good years.

After that - I can angle for carp. They'll still be trout fishing. I bet we'll see bass more and more.  Who knows perhaps we'll catching bonito & Pacific Barracuda in English Bay or Albacore may move into the inside waters.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.