Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Summer Steelhead Blog - "Monsters and Misfortune"  (Read 7879 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: A Summer Steelhead Blog - "Monsters and Misfortune"
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »

Great read and pictures as usual, you should write a story like this for BC Outdoors. After they publish it you will become a regular writer for them. Good to share your talents with this magazine. ;D

I'm not sure what the process is behind writing articles for magazines. I've tried once to get featured in one, but never heard back. I just don't pursue it enough perhaps. Maybe one of these days I'll get my foot in the door. I do enjoy writing a lot.

The one thing that wouldn't be as good for magazine articles is that my pictures wouldn't be as numerous and in full size. I do take pride in my photography aspect now, and I like to share the pictures that go along with the adventure. The other good thing about online platforms is that I can throw little video clips in!

Thanks though Chris. As I've said in the past, I used to love reading your journals. I looked forward to them often. Same goes for a lot of other people who used to post a lot. I do enjoy reading about other people's success and adventures when I'm not able to get out!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »

Steelhead longer than a grown man's leg. Wow. I didn't think they still made them that big.

Go to the header picture of the article and notice Kitty's tiny fingertips in comparison to the Steelhead. Good Grief 37" long. Massive. :o

Seeing that thing in person was amazing. Unreal fish. Totally unexpected. I really did think she was going to be close to 20 with that fish... but I guess the 17-18 range is pretty close to 20 and nothing to be upset about  ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 09:10:05 PM »

Awesome, simply awesome. :)
And may those rivers stay off the Internet radar for many more years! :-X

I'm sure hoping they will be staying off. It just goes to show that you don't need to post WHERE to have the makings of a good article. Too many people now on social media focus on the particular places, rather than the entire adventure. I'd much rather someone write about an awesome day and not tell me where - it just gives me the bug to go explore more. Once specific locations get posted, it takes away a little bit of the gratification for when you figure it out, and of course, absolutely wrecks the once special place.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »

Great read, agree that this should see print!

Amazing read.

as usual, WOW!  Well done Dan :)

Thanks guys! Glad you all enjoyed the read. It's good to know people are still enjoying these. They aren't very easy to write and take a little bit of time. As long as some people get satisfaction out of them, I'll continue doing them. Hopefully it inspires people to fight for these fish more as well!

Amazing Pictures, Great Blog.....   I have to admit i was "Surprised" to see a Summer Edition.
Totally amazing.

Incredible the passion you share.

Truly some of the BEST STEEL HEADERING i have ever seen.
Cant wait to see and hear more of your adventures.

Thanks as always!

I was hesitant to post a summer blog. I refused to fish for the last three weeks (even though I've been able). IMO, if people truly care about these fish, they should be left alone. It's driving me crazy seeing people posting hero shots with steelhead from the island for the last month in the very warm rivers. High mortality is a given.

Finally something positive about fishing   , thanks for posting

Can't all be negative all the time. Need a breather sometimes. That being said, the conditions this summer after this trip were dreadful. There should have been closures  :'(

Fantastic story and pics!!! And take it easy on that injury!

Absolutely Amazing.

Amen to both these lines!

Thanks again for taking the time to post this here. :)

Thanks guys! And Chris - I have definitely been taking it easy. It's healing very well!

colin6101

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 01:18:54 AM »

Beautifully written story with some great pictures. Always look forward to reading these posts. My wife doesn't mind fishing and I really have to get her out a few times this salmon season so she can catch the bug too.

sockeyed

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Look forward to the next one!

Snagly

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »

Unreal story with photos to go with it . . . and then you destroy your leg and stop for "only" (!) a dozen casts on the hike/climb/crawl to the car. That's a hardcore steelheader, to be certain.

To a speedy recovery!
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

fishgod

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 08:26:18 PM »

Thanks for the great read - it really lifts the spirits to live vicariously through you guys -
plus much less expensive than buying fishing gear on the internet -
that's the fall back spirit lifter. 
Good luck with the recovery - sounds like nasty injury you were lucky to get out from under.
Cheers
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 12:34:38 AM »

Thanks Every Day !!! That was just a wonderful  story full of adventure with a bit of, like you said, misfortune at the end. My question is, if you could go back and not do the trip, would you ? Less than  a week of fishing full of  a lifetime of memories and photo's versus painful weeks and months of recovery. I know if it were me what I would do. Life is full of pain, exhilaration, sadness and happiness. I think that's what makes this story and the magic within. Thank You for sharing !

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »

100% I'd do it again.

If was a great learning experience, and as bad as it is, there are many more injuries off instances that would have been much worse to learn my lesson on. It was just serious enough to make me take things seriously and give myself a good wake up call!

Plus, I don't think I'll see summer runs that size again for a while.

Ask me the same question in 3 weeks though when I go for a check up to find out if I can play goalie this hockey season, and the answer might change  :P

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 02:32:40 PM »

plus much less expensive than buying fishing gear on the internet -
that's the fall back spirit lifter

Tell me about it! I went on a reel buying binge when I was sidelined and couldn't do weight beating for a week. My bank account suffered. As a side note I can rattle off all the different hardy knock off reels and companies that had hardy make reels for them lol. I have quite the little collection going now!