Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour river fish fence.  (Read 4059 times)

glycine

Seymour river fish fence.
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:58:31 PM »

When I  hear about the fish fence in the secure river, I wasnt very interested. I thought it is one of the common useless money wasting projects everywhere. They started the project somehow based on their explanation.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/seymour-river-fish-fence-ready-for-returning-salmonids-1.2292141

When I saw the actual fish fence this afternoon. I was terribly shocked.
The river has been dried for 2 month.  The fence is completely blocked the river.
Now the pink migration is totally blocked. There's school of pinks below the fish fence.  Only school gym size pool is their only spawning ground. Pinks and chums don't usually migrate too far not even close to the  land slide area.
Do we really need the fish fence?? Can we say they are trying to save salmons somehow??

glycine

Re: Seymour river fish fence.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 10:18:27 PM »

https://youtu.be/mMowolgpsDQ

That's only spawning ground.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »

With no fish fence, and without transporting the salmon to spawning and rearing habitat upstream, the fish would spawn ineffectually in the canyon immediately below the slide.

The fence was/is expensive but hopefully it will preserve the runs for the next several years that it takes to remove enough of the slide to allow for fish passage

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »

They transport them above the slide is my understanding.

glycine

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »

ReplyQuote
They transport them above the slide is my understanding

Why?? Pinks and chums even don't migrate above the slide. The rock slide was natural event. Why they disturb it?
I'm not sure they move the fish or not.  If they move the pinks, they are stupid. If they don't, it's a crime.  I live in the area I havn't seen them for a while.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »

Perhaps your concerns on pink and chum salmon should be directly addressed to Seymour Salmonid society on their contact page which I'm sure have already thought about these issues when the fish fence was constructed. The main purpose of the fish fence is for collection of coho and steelhead, which are moved to either the hatchery or the upper section of the river. Prior to the fence construction, collecting these two species was a lot more difficult when it was done in the canyon.

zap brannigan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »

ReplyQuote
They transport them above the slide is my understanding

Why?? Pinks and chums even don't migrate above the slide. The rock slide was natural event. Why they disturb it?
I'm not sure they move the fish or not.  If they move the pinks, they are stupid. If they don't, it's a crime.  I live in the area I havn't seen them for a while.

ive spent a lot of time on the seymour and i can tell you without a doubt that before the slide both pinks and chum spawned above the canyon, both 2011 and 2013 i seen tons of pinks spawning above the canyon and quite a few chums aswell.

danielk

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »

They know what there doing   That slide was a bad one it's needs all the help it can get