Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Homemade dough bait  (Read 6544 times)

KarateKick

Homemade dough bait
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:21:11 PM »

We've been trying to catch chub and pikeminnow in the lower Fraser, and our Berkley dough bait is not working. Can some of you share your recipes for homemade dough bait? Thank you.

jacklam999

Re: Homemade dough bait
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:22:13 PM »

Use flour and shrimp powder

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 03:08:07 AM »

I used plain old flour and water when I used to fish off the dock at Kalamalka Lake. Let it sink down slowly, it never hit the bottom before a fish took it :D

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:33:25 AM »

Add a little peanut butter to the flour mix

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:57:30 AM »

Just google home made play dough recipes. U can get anchovies paste or shrimp powder too

KarateKick

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »

Just google home made play dough recipes.

That was a surprising suggestion!  I am very interested if that gives me something with a Play Doh texture that doesn't fall off the hook as easily as plain flour dough.

Most play dough recipes include flour, salt and cream of tartar. Some people suggest food colouring.

Ambassador

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »

Some people suggest food colouring.
I've never personally made these dough balls - but would think something like Procure Double Redd would be perfect for this as it has colour and scent (Assuming you cure your roe and have some lying around). I cured some corn this summer with it and had some pretty good success with the trout.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 05:06:36 PM »

That was a surprising suggestion!  I am very interested if that gives me something with a Play Doh texture that doesn't fall off the hook as easily as plain flour dough.

Most play dough recipes include flour, salt and cream of tartar. Some people suggest food colouring.

It's similar to the stuff you buy, Have to keep it sealed up tho or it will harden.

Adding a small amount of cream of tartar speeds up the creation of foam and helps stabilize the structure of those miniscule air bubbles. Basically makes more floaty in the water.

procure seems like an interesting idea to experiment with.  maybe replace some water with it

mesmer25

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »

not really a dough bait, but I've had great success using bread (both white and whole wheat)
just remove a small part away from the crust of the bread and form into a small ball and as an added bonus the ball stay well onto the hook far longer than a peanut butter dough ball.

be warned tho I've caught a salmon parr on the bread ball the other day using a size 18 hook

poper

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

If your after chub and pike minnows,try useing worms or store bought roe, works great,may stay on the hook better, but then I have never tried  dough balls.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »

I just used to use white bread mush up a bit of roe with it and roll it into tight little balls when I took the kids out.

TimL

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 07:02:15 AM »

Worms are the killer for pike minnow, peamouth, sucker, and most other Fraser river coarse fish. Never used dough-based baits but having just started carp fishing, I may have to learn  :D Google ' carp fishing baits' or 'boilies'. You'll be amazed how many types of dough baits have been developed for just that one species.

KarateKick

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »

Do you cook your dough bait?

danielk

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/didyouknow/inland/carp_baits.phtml Try this but add some fish powder   I've Seen it used for carp lots in deer lake.  I'm sure it would work for the Fraser.   But it might get you something bigger and ancient if you add to much fish powered   :o