Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: 2019/2020 Chilliwack River winter steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 25874 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

In the past with the other slides every time it rained the river was not good.
I’m guessing it’s going to be bad as the river goes right against the slide. I know that area as I fish it when it’s not busy.

Jk47

https://youtu.be/su0bEzHvi4o
...Baby Face Gadsden and Barely Forty Fred... everyone's favorite old school fish gangsters lol . I enjoyed watching thanks Chris

stsfisher

Many of you may not have seen this video I produced of the Slesse slide that happened 23 years ago almost to the same date as this one. It was January 27, 1997 when it came down and silted up the river for a long time. Many other clay slides became a problem too over the years. https://youtu.be/su0bEzHvi4o

I remember the video and the day it happened very well, thanks for the old school video re hash Chris. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visibility was close to 2 feet when I looked a few minutes ago at Lickman but of course it can decrease with the rain falling now.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

She’s out now. Down to a few inches of visibility. Many fisherman leaving the river in frustration.  :o

clarki

• Old Timer

Better get while the gettin's good

High Streamflow Advisory –South Coast and Vancouver Island
ISSUED: 10:00 AM January 30, 2020

The River Forecast Centre is issuing a High Streamflow Advisory for:
•       South Coast including the Sunshine Coast, Howe Sound, North Shore, Fraser Valley and Metro Vancouver
•       West Vancouver Island including rivers and tributaries around Tofino, Ucluelet, Bamfield and Port Renfrew
•       North Vancouver Island including rivers and tributaries around Quatsino Sound, Zeballos, Tahsis, and Gold River
•       Central Vancouver Island including the Sproat and Somass Rivers and tributaries around Port Alberni
•       South Vancouver Island including the Cowichan River
An atmospheric river is expected to impact the BC Coast beginning on Friday of this week. This will bring an extended period of heavy rainfall throughout the region. The heaviest rainfall is expected on the outer coast of Vancouver Island and along the North Shore Mountains and north side of the Fraser Valley through to Howe Sound and the Sunshine Coast. Storm total rainfall amounts in the wettest areas may exceed 150-200 mm, with lower elevation and more protected areas expecting amounts in the 50-100 mm range. The source of the atmospheric river is from the sub-tropics, and in addition to precipitation, temperatures are expected to warm, with freezing levels pushing above 2000 m by late-Friday.
Rivers are expected rise through Friday and into Saturday in response to this rainfall. Current hydrologic modelling is indicating the potential for flows to reach or exceed 5-year flows; this advisory may be upgraded to a flood watch on Friday if there is more certainty of reaching these river levels.
While some snowmelt is expected during this event, snowpack at higher elevations is deep enough that it will provide some absorption of the added rainfall and buffer the impact of the rainfall on runoff. At mid-elevations (300-800m) some recent snow accumulation is expected to melt with the “rain-on-snow” and may add a modest addition of runoff.
While rainfall amounts are forecast to be lower in inland areas of Vancouver Island, persistent wet weather over the past few lakes has led to high lake levels on Cowichan Lake and Sproat Lake; outflow from these lakes is expected to exceed levels that have be experienced so far this season, and high streamflow is expected downstream in the Sproat and Somass Rivers and the Cowichan River.
The public is advised to stay clear of the fast-flowing rivers and potentially unstable riverbanks during the high-river-level period.
The River Forecast Centre will continue to monitor and provide updates as conditions warrant.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Over 3.2 on the river level graph and it’s still pouring rain here in Chiiliwack as I write this with crazy winds thrown in for good measure

fisherforever

Power just went out 15 minutes ago in my part of Chilliwack and I see the river gauge is almost 3.75 and still rising

dave c

Now at 4meters.  I hope no one is foolish enough to try fishing. Very dangerous

CohoJake

• Old Timer

When do the pink fry emerge from the gravel?  I assume this has scoured the spawning gravel killed nearly all of them from this fall.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

When do the pink fry emerge from the gravel?  I assume this has scoured the spawning gravel killed nearly all of them from this fall.
They can emerge any time now as long as the weather warms up.  I was on the Harrison last week. The weather was sunny in Harrison Mills with a bit of warmth and I did see some fry. I wasnt too sure what they were but definitely schools of fry out. I did see lots of rising fish as well. Wish I had brought my fly rod.

Every Day

• Old Timer

Even some chum fry are out already (saw a few on Thursday). At this time of year, nearly all eggs laid will be alevin. They are not quite a susceptible to being washed out as eggs are,  and will just keep swimming down into gravel as needed. They can also move into quieter water near shore. They won't all be lost.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River in the lower has dropped a bit but still very muddy. Heard there was a slide on Tamihi Creek now too.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

Tamahi has cleared significantly now . There me be a fresh slide still though. The road itself along the creek has had many slides that went unfixed for many years . Couldn't see it getting much worse honestly. 5-6 slides down to the creek.. Zero vis yesterday and around 2 feet maybe more in the actual creek today. Still far cleaner than the actual river which is pure clay. I think it's the least of the problems like ranger. It's helping if anything as of right now.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Tamahi has cleared significantly now . There me be a fresh slide still though. The road itself along the creek has had many slides that went unfixed for many years . Couldn't see it getting much worse honestly. 5-6 slides down to the creek.. Zero vis yesterday and around 2 feet maybe more in the actual creek today. Still far cleaner than the actual river which is pure clay. I think it's the least of the problems like ranger. It's helping if anything as of right now.
Is the rd still passable? Never been down it. Would like to go see this slide.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12