Fishing in British Columbia > The Fish Kitchen

Preventing smoked salmon sticking to rack

(1/2) > >>

JBB:
   I use a Bradley smoker and a basic dry brine to produce my smoked salmon. The product is good but I have trouble with the salmon skin sticking to the rack. I use Pam spray on the racks but it still is a problem . Any suggestions ?

Noahs Arc:
I don't put anything on the rack and I don't have a problem.
I usually let the fish cool off on the racks then carefully work them off if they stick a bit.
Try letting them cool on the rack to firm up some.

JBB:
 I think it's the sugar from the dry brine that causes the fish to stick, but can't figure out how to avoid the problem.

Noahs Arc:
I only use dry brine for salmon.

scouterjames:

--- Quote from: JBB on January 27, 2016, 08:47:29 PM ---   I use a Bradley smoker and a basic dry brine to produce my smoked salmon. The product is good but I have trouble with the salmon skin sticking to the rack. I use Pam spray on the racks but it still is a problem . Any suggestions ?

--- End quote ---

I never use Pam (or other cooking sprays).  They contain nasty propellants (most make use of a hydrocarbon such as propane or iso-butane) and also lecithin (a soy derivative to help mix the oil and water) that builds up on the cooking surfaces that don't have food on them (it ends up a sticky brown goo that's next to impossible to scrub off!).

Either buy a pump sprayer that you pour oil into and pump air pressure yourself, or pour a bit of oil into a bowl, dip a paper towel into it and rub down the grill.  Healthier and saves the environment at the same time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version