Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River  (Read 13747 times)

avid angler

Re: Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »

This January run has actually been the strongest in the last 5 years. The cold snap followed by the clay slide has been the biggest issue with numbers of fish caught. That and 99% of steelhead anglers not knowing what their doing.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 11:47:30 PM »

This January run has actually been the strongest in the last 5 years. The cold snap followed by the clay slide has been the biggest issue with numbers of fish caught. That and 99% of steelhead anglers not knowing what their doing.
You have some stats to back up this being the strongest January in the last five yrs? So your saying out a 100 anglers on the river only 1 knows how to fish for Steelhead?  Come on man. There’s a ton of good rods out there pounding away everyday.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:50:10 PM by Wiseguy »

avid angler

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »

Yeah and their catching fish.... The Wally hall derby isn't the greatest reflection of numbers of fish. Lots of guys don’t weigh in fish and you get literally 0 info on numbers of wilds.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:25:06 AM by avid angler »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »

You have some stats to back up this being the strongest January in the last five yrs? So your saying out a 100 anglers on the river only 1 knows how to fish for Steelhead?  Come on man. There’s a ton of good rods out there pounding away everyday.

Honestly,  the guys who fish every single day and keep journals are probably the most reliable info we have for numbers and trends. It appears that January has indeed been very good, and I know more than a few guys who have been killing and not posting or weighing in. There's a small demographic for people weighing fish in, and unfortunately, those people rarely do fall into that 10% of guys that actually know what they are doing.

The other thing you have to consider is if you're behind one of the really good rods, you're pretty much hooped for the day. You might get one or two on those days, but they got 6 (unless you just hit a bite time). The same goes for the island, there are guys that I message each weekend to see where they are going, because I definitely do not want to fish behind them (despite knowing a number of the rivers very well).

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »

Yeah and their catching fish.... The Wally hall derby isn't the greatest reflection of numbers of fish. Lots of guys don’t weigh in fish and you get literally 0 info on numbers of wilds.
The top rods are catching some fish. No big numbers to brag about to anyone. I agree many fish are not wieghed in. Why would you want to advertise good fishing over the internet? You have some intel on the amount of wilds getting caught? Last I heard there was only 4 fish tubed for the hatchery.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:02:18 PM by Wiseguy »

avid angler

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 01:51:04 PM »

The top rods are catching some fish. No big numbers to brag about to anyone. I agree many fish are not wieghed in. Why would you want to advertise good fishing over the internet? You have some intel on the amount of wilds getting caught? Last I heard there was only 4 fish tubed for the hatchery.

My buddy told me as of Friday they had 14

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 06:34:56 PM »

Honestly i would say that 1 out of 100 isnt that far off. But it all comes down to what you consider a good rod is. In my mind the good rods would have hooked 30-45 fish or more as of today. Alot of guys who have killed a few or landed half a dozen fish this season who think they are “killing it” actually have no idea whats going on out there. Im not posting this out of arrogance as i wouldnt consider myself a “good rod” but i have witnessed what goes on.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 06:58:47 PM »

Honestly i dont believe fish tubed at this point is an accurate indicator either. I only say this because the C/V system right now is heavily relying on the abilities of two anglers. I dont say this to make anyone upset or to throw jabs at anyone else carrying tubes. But if you were to look at the numbers from each individual last year the numbers speak for themselves. Honestly they need to get the tubes in the hands of good anglers who are out there frequently and getting them.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 10:27:13 PM »

Honestly i dont believe fish tubed at this point is an accurate indicator either. I only say this because the C/V system right now is heavily relying on the abilities of two anglers. I dont say this to make anyone upset or to throw jabs at anyone else carrying tubes. But if you were to look at the numbers from each individual last year the numbers speak for themselves. Honestly they need to get the tubes in the hands of good anglers who are out there frequently and getting them.
Who has tubes? I have heard through the grapevine is the hatchery guys are catching wilds in the closed areas of the river.

avid angler

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 10:32:15 PM »

They do collect them up there, but that’s not where they have come from this season except for maybe 1 or two and very few last season. The 14 are what’s been collected in open water from the volunteer anglers.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:37:28 PM by avid angler »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 10:43:47 PM »

Who has tubes? I have heard through the grapevine is the hatchery guys are catching wilds in the closed areas of the river.

This is completely false (at least in this years case).

As Naka said, the brood angling is definitely being HEAVILY done by two individuals. At this point, they have 12 of the 14 fish in to the hatchery so far. They do not angle in closed sections. Other than that tidbit, if they don't want their info spread around, we shouldn't be the ones to do it.

Again, Naka is spot on. Most of the good anglers keep their mouths shut for how many fish they've gotten in a season. I'd say his assessment of a "good rod" is perfectly accurate - I wouldn't consider myself a good rod compared to those guys either.

fisher man

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 06:28:30 AM »

Can I be a top rod, I catch a lot of stealhead a year but until now I don't tell people. I caught a wild on the boxing day derby but I didn't tell any other top rods, does it count? Do all the top rods know each other, is it a self proclaimed, do I need to know another self proclaimed top rod. Is there a list, can I be on this list?

stsfisher

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 07:38:49 AM »

Can I be a top rod, I catch a lot of stealhead a year but until now I don't tell people. I caught a wild on the boxing day derby but I didn't tell any other top rods, does it count? Do all the top rods know each other, is it a self proclaimed, do I need to know another self proclaimed top rod. Is there a list, can I be on this list?

;D ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 07:43:45 AM »

if you don't know the secret handshake you can never be a member.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »

You would have to ask Everyday as he knows all the top rods. Maybe he will put you on the list.  ;D