Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hook restriction qurstions...  (Read 9147 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: hook restriction qurstions...
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 08:14:12 PM »

The question is why would you want to use trebles considering how much damage they do to the mouth of the fish ? No matter how careful you are there are times when a fish gets all 3 points in it's mouth and you can't get them out without destroying the fishes mouth .
--Note: Okanagan lake allows use of barbless treble. Many feel that the larger siwash single barbless rule resulted in the killing of smaller kokanee when targeting large rainbows. Barbless treble on a plug or spoon is not going to result in deep hooking unless maybe a burbot.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 10:13:18 PM »

The question is why would you want to use trebles considering how much damage they do to the mouth of the fish ? No matter how careful you are there are times when a fish gets all 3 points in it's mouth and you can't get them out without destroying the fishes mouth .

You're not alone, I agree with you here and don't know why these guys love trebles so
much... Of the fish I've seen on trebles vs. singles almost every time the fish had more
damage done to it than if it were caught with a single.

Not really much to discuss here and don't really understand why the  fish's well being is funny. Unless they enjoy catch, kill, and release...

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 02:42:26 PM »

You're not alone, I agree with you here and don't know why these guys love trebles so
much... Of the fish I've seen on trebles vs. singles almost every time the fish had more
damage done to it than if it were caught with a single.

Not really much to discuss here and don't really understand why the  fish's well being is funny. Unless they enjoy catch, kill, and release...

--different situations is the reason for discussion.

--I agree use of a smaller treble or stinger hook can result in major damage... also may "button up" the mouth resulting in drowning of smaller fish.

--A large single siwash fish can be more deadly to small fish than a large treble. These are for specific applications thus the rule in Okangan lk where often small kokanee... which at the time had to be released...were often killed by the large hook.

--depends on how it is used... ie trolled not cast with higher likelyhood of snagging and the size of the target fish and the size of the likely by-catch.

--I am not suggesting use of small barbless treble hooks. I most oftenuse smaller single barbless hooks sickle or circle for most applications.

--Where regulation allowes I use barbed  treble casting for Bass where there is a low percentage chance for by-catch of trout or kokanee...specifically in Skaha lk.

--The treble point I am trying to make is that there are occasions where a treble hook can be of benefit. Fishing teqhnique and equipment can and should be adapted to best fit the situation.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »

What are your thoughts on this method?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »

What are your thoughts on this method?

--First thing as it is likely for river fishing... I'd do a better job on pinching the barb.

--Without a scale.... appears to be a small hook... the fish (in clear water) should hit the egg (willful take) thus be hooked on the outside of the mouth.
-- When the egg is at the hook it can ( not necessarily) deep hook if swallowed.
--  I would change to a circle hook for this rig.
--  Obviously this method could be abused by the user but I will assume good intent on the part of the angler... some feel this method is not legal. 

--If this rigg is trolled it could cause deep hooking again partially alleviated by circle hook.

--I'm not a CO or Judge so don't take this as advice on what may or may not be legal.
--I'm saying that depending on where and how you use this rig can make a difference.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:50:44 AM by skaha »