Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keep losing fish  (Read 6109 times)

hotrod

Re: Keep losing fish
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »

Over setting your hook can be a problem as well. Try lightly lifting your rod gently so as not to rip the hook half way out of its mouth.

hotrod

obie1fish

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »

I agree w/ Jonhill...check the size of your bait. I go on the small size (smaller than a dime or smaller). Sometimes the fish has a tough time with the bait interfering with the hook gap and/or not enough of the hook point exposed.

kalex60

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »

buy a better hook like a maruto and for trout i would go with a size six because with a bigger hook you will deep hook less fish and if the fish is to small you still have the option of releasing it

rootbeer

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions.  I changed my set up to 4lb mono, size 6 Gamakatsu hooks, and using a leader and egg sinker to fish off the bottom.  I still lose fish, but not as many  ;) 

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »

Try a 6-8lb flurocarbon leader if you find you are breaking off fish. Apparently fluoro is less visible than mono and Berkley Vanish is priced around $6.49 for 100m, so it's not going to break the bank.

Also, you can opt for treble hooks if there is no restriction and you feel like you should be sticking more lips.

Tight lines out there!
A rig out of water catches no fish.