Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kids Fishing - what is their limit for catching salmon  (Read 6883 times)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: Kids Fishing - what is their limit for catching salmon
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »

So If I take the kids fishing, do they get their own limit of salmon?

Seems like a bit of a grey area to me:

IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 AND A RESIDENT OF B.C.✚:
-You may sport fish without any licence or stamp (but must abide by the regulations).
-You do not need to be accompanied by a licence holder.
- You are entitled to your own quota of fish.

^^
Kids + early teens are entitled to their own quota; but do they have to catch it? I've skimmed the Synopsis but haven't been able to find any info. about the "transferability" of fish from one quota to another (i.e. can mom/dad catch fish for son/daughter?)...

I would assume no but with just the info. I've posted there is certainly room for interpretation of the regs.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

RWheeler

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 08:39:02 PM »

I'm taking my 8 year old to the Stamp River this year and I'm wondering what kind of setup I should get him. I'm thinking a spinning reel rather than bait casting but not so sure as to rod length.  Any suggestions?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »

Seems like a bit of a grey area to me:

IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 AND A RESIDENT OF B.C.✚:
-You may sport fish without any licence or stamp (but must abide by the regulations).
-You do not need to be accompanied by a licence holder.
- You are entitled to your own quota of fish.

^^
Kids + early teens are entitled to their own quota; but do they have to catch it? I've skimmed the Synopsis but haven't been able to find any info. about the "transferability" of fish from one quota to another (i.e. can mom/dad catch fish for son/daughter?)...

I would assume no but with just the info. I've posted there is certainly room for interpretation of the regs.

The kids have to catch their own quota just like an adult needs to catch their own quota.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »

I'm taking my 8 year old to the Stamp River this year and I'm wondering what kind of setup I should get him. I'm thinking a spinning reel rather than bait casting but not so sure as to rod length.  Any suggestions?

If youre just chuckin spoons and spinners a shorter rod will be fine.
If your kid is going to float fish a longer rod around 9 feet would be good for a spin setup.
My dad got me casting baitcaster at a very young age and even though you'll spend most of your day pulling bird nests for a couple trips it will be the best for them in the long run. ( If you're just going fishing once or twice a year egg beater is fine)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »

I was hooking chum for my 8 year old last year and he fought them the whole time, all I did was hook em.
He battled some big ones, did quite well for himself, this year I'll let him cast as well.
I don't see a problem with kids on the river so long as they are safe.
Raging torrents ect, not a place for kids, and I have 2 that i would love to take with me everywhere.
He also chose to put all his back. :D

I love bringing my kids fishing and was fishing for chum at the Stave once with my 8 year old daughter who had her line keep snapping on her small spinning rod, so a gentleman beside her hooked a chum and passed her his 9 foot rod and she brought it in on her own.  That 12-15 pound chum is still the highlight of her career and the one she keeps talking about (although the pink salmon she ultimately lost to a seal has given it a run for its money).  However, I do agree that this regulation is often abused by greedy SOBs who use their kids in order to get around their own quotas.  Let's face it, hooking and fighting a fish to within a few feet of the beach and getting your child to drag it in may be fun for the child, but it should be counted as the parent's catch, no question.
Not all those who wander are lost