- 13 (18.8%)
neoprene
- 16 (23.2%)
fleece+ softshell
- 7 (10.1%)
other
- 9 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Fishing gloves  (Read 9798 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Fishing gloves
« on: November 22, 2010, 11:26:42 PM »

As the temperature plummets towards absolute zero, I've been going over my gear in preparation for steelhead season.  One item that I've never really been satisfied with are my gloves when fishing in cold rain.  I started out with wool "glittens" (half-fingered gloves with a fold-over mitten), but too often, my fly line would snag the folded back mitten.  I then tried wool half fingered gloves which weren't too bad but weren't wind or waterproof obviously.  I've since tried "boiled wool" gloves and they are better in the wind.  They may be the best solution yet.  Take a big pair of wool gloves and shrink them down in the washer and dryer until they drop two sizes and fit your hands.  I then tried 2010 SImms Windstopper gloves (fleece with water-resistant softshell backing).  They were quite unobtrusive, but aren't too warm and are pretty useless in the rain (the water-resistance is overcome by anything more than a light mist).  I'm looking at trying a pair of  "Glacier Gloves" which are fleece-backed 2mm neoprene gloves.  They apparently have thin patches on the fingers  to give sensation, but I may wind up chopping off the thumb, index and middle finger as I need the tactile sensation for stripping in a fly and casting my levelwind.  

A lot of steelheading happens in the rain or sleet.  I'd like to find a glove similar to the new Windstoppers, but with a backing that was rain-proof instead of moderately mist-resistant.  Failing that, I'll probably carry multiple pairs of wool gloves and swap out when one gets soaked.

What do you wear?  gimme the pros and cons.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:08:33 AM by Matt »

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing gloves
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:04:40 AM »

--I use Xtreme Fishing Glove... it is very thin neoprene... exposed fingers thumb bends back .. it is intended for use with spin and baitcasters and has leather thumb for lipping bass or thumbing baitcaster.
--glove comes as a single but can be used on left or right.

--as it gets colder add latex and pull neo over then final before giving up I go to the wool with pull back mitten as it is painful but so is frostbite.. last resort before hot rum in a tin cup.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:07:25 AM by skaha »

Chromie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:12:13 AM »

I just use simmis wind proof gloves they do the trick most of the time.... and times when my fingers do get cold i use the old put your hands down in my pants for 2 minutes then keep on fishing lol . ;D..... i have notice also if you keep you core of you body warm it tend to help in the big picture ...... a littel bit of whiskey does the same trick

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:35:35 AM »

trying doing a previous search on this, lots of good advice in the older threads.
The Bigger The Better!

oni_kage

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »

My gf bought me a zippo handwarmer from MEC yesterday. They are basically a replica of the old Jon-E handwarmer.

For of those of you who are not familiar with it they are fueled by lighter fluid and keep warm up to 12 hours. I tried it out yesterday, and it did in fact really remain warm/hot for around 10 hours on one filling. There isn't an actual flame so you stuff it in a velvet carrying case and you can put it into your jacket pocket.

It was a bit of a pain to get going, but the trick is to let the entire warmer heat up first so that the lighter fuel vaporizes properly. However, once it started going it is really warm!

I'll give it a field test this weekend out on the local rivers and let you know how it is.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 05:54:55 PM »

I find the best glove for gear fishing...I use a centre pin (Silex) setup is fleece mittens if you can find them.

For fly and spey fishing in cold winter weather I use Simms fold overs (Windstoppers) because you need to be able to feel the line when stripping or casting with bare fingers.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »

No gloves

Brian

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »

No gloves

tuffguy.

I use wool mittens or paddling gloves from MEC.  I slit the fingers of the neoprene/simuleather gloves to flip up for knots but it still kinda sucks.

Bare hands for handling fish that I'm going to release.

noxcape

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »

ive got a couple pairs of the extreme gloves and they are awesome for when i do my winter bassin 

jeff

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 09:58:23 PM »

No gloves as well I work outside year roud so I guess I am used to it.
Enjoying the water..........

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »

I'm not much of a glove person cause I work outside and I haven't needed them this week, and was recently doing some swift water training and did not require them for that either,  so I am doubting I will require them for steelie season. However check out MEC if you have a chance quite a selection of gloves, if you can't find something there then you are hard to please, haha.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 06:15:50 AM »

Only use gloves in extreme condition's.Lower mainland rarely as I work outside.Last week in that wind at night was no picnic though.Wool finger flip ups seem to fill the bill but I will use nitrile under them in sleety times.
Riverman

Dogbreath

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »

However check out MEC if you have a chance quite a selection of gloves, if you can't find something there then you are hard to please.
I find MEC to suck overall for the longest time they wouldn't carry anything wool at all now the fashion has turned and they're back with their cheapo knockoffs of real goods.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »

I find MEC to suck overall for the longest time they wouldn't carry anything wool at all now the fashion has turned and they're back with their cheapo knockoffs of real goods.

Yeah this is true of some of their items but some stuff there is decent you just have to know about what you are buying I guess. Gloves are gloves to me, I've never had a pair that made me feel like it was worth it when I spent in the 30 dollar range regardless of where i got it from. I love wool anything however it's tricky to tie knots and bait up hooks, etc.

fetoid

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 08:46:27 AM »

These look interesting and I might order them next month:

http://bit.ly/gUIE0y

They also come w/o lining:

http://bit.ly/fZ6epe