Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: siwash vs octopus hooks landing ratio  (Read 11615 times)

glx

• I'm a llama!
Re: siwash vs octopus hooks landing ratio
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »

I really like the Mustand Ultra Point siwash as well.  I put them on my hot shots for plug pulling and was noticing a better hookup and landing percentage.  I tried using gami siwash and octopus but was not happy with the results. 

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »

Bought my Ultrapoint siwash hooks from Highwater Tackle in North Van.  604-986-3239.  I also tried Matzuo sickle hooks which are readily available at Canadian tire.  They are very similar, if not the same hook design, to Bent Rod chum jig hooks.  Of my 4 fish on colorado blades today, only one threw the hook.  I think that they hold better than octopus hooks.  Another modification I did to my blades is using a bead-chain swivel at the rear instead of a barrel swivel.  This places the hook farther back and I theorized that this should result in deeper hookups.  It would seem that the results were in line with that theory.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »

Nice beak on that one!!
I picked up some Matzuo sickle siwash hooks at Can Tire today. i'll give them a try tomorrow.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »

I should add the sizing for Matzuo hooks is off.  Their #4 sickle hook is more like a #2+.  I was using a "#4" sickle hookk for my thumb print-sized colorado blades (#2 blades?)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:00:27 PM by Matt »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »

That seems to be the case for all Matzuo hooks. I went with the size 1 for my larger spoons and blades.
Unfortunately I dragged my boat to the Stave today and found only moldy chum and tomatoes in less than a foot of water, so I didn't get a chance to try out the hooks.
I think I'm done fishing until after Christmas. I have some rods to build...