Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: siwash vs octopus hooks landing ratio  (Read 11614 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
siwash vs octopus hooks landing ratio
« on: November 09, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »

I was comparing my landing ratio (coho) for colorado blades with Siwash hooks vs octopus hooks.  I'm landing a little more than 1/3 of fish hooked on siwash and ~3/4 on colorado spinners with octopus hooks.  Anyone else noticed a similar break down?

Verdi

Re: siwash vs octopus hooks landing ratio
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »

I changed from gami siwash to mustasd ulta point closed eye siwash wihich is very similar to an ocytopus, an i land at least 75% as to 50% with the old straight siwash hooks from gami..

I very seldom worry about losing a fish if i have an mustand ultra point on..

They seem to lock in the jaw with some side pressure and prevent the coho roll hook toss..

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected it with the upturned eye. Has anyone had success using Octopus hooks on spoons?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »

I changed from gami siwash to mustasd ulta point closed eye siwash wihich is very similar to an ocytopus, an i land at least 75% as to 50% with the old straight siwash hooks from gami..

They seem to lock in the jaw with some side pressure and prevent the coho roll hook toss..

Like this?

I'm loosing my fish on a straight siwash, like this, minus the barb.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »

I use the same hook on my spoons and blades. However, I have been loosing a fair number of fish on them lately and I believe it more has to do with using the proper size hook for the lure as opposed to the shape or style of the hook. Just my opinion though.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:17:40 PM »

The best hooks for landing fish i've fished with are these (Mustad Ultrapoint Barbless Octopus).  Note how the point is almost pointed towards the shank.  The eye is pretty tiny for split rings though

Danube Boy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:04:08 AM »

The best hooks for landing fish i've fished with are these (Mustad Ultrapoint Barbless Octopus).  Note how the point is almost pointed towards the shank.  The eye is pretty tiny for split rings though

Just use a snap swivel instead of a two-way swivel and a split ring.

Personally, I think there are too many variables to consider in judging the two styles of hook; each hook-up is unique and each fish fights/rolls/twists in a unique way. I've experimented with different designs including sickle hooks, and have come up with pretty mixed results.
Of course, nothing wrong with discussing it and sharing each others opinions and theories.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »

These are the open eye siwash hooks I am now using (from DNE).
The hook looks great, but I tend to break the eye when closing them, which is why I am looking for alternatives.
http://www.dnefishingtackle.com/siwash.htm

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 11:43:46 AM »

who sells those?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »

Matt,
Army and Navy. 25 hooks for $8.99.
I seem to be breaking the eye on one out of every 5 hooks. I emailed DNE and they got back to me with some suggestions, but I'm not breaking any fewer hooks using their techniques.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »

The Gami Siwash work much better if you twist the font and back so they are offset and bend the point in a little towards the shank. Haven't really tried the octopus on Colorados as I mainly fish Crocs. I lose way more fish on Colorado blades; not much escapes the factory meat hooks that come with the Crocs though!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »

The Gami Siwash work much better if you twist the font and back so they are offset and bend the point in a little towards the shank. Haven't really tried the octopus on Colorados as I mainly fish Crocs. I lose way more fish on Colorado blades; not much escapes the factory meat hooks that come with the Crocs though!

I've tried offsetting the point and didn't notice much difference.  I picked up some of these Matzuo hooked (never used Matzuo before, but they appear to be decent).

and some Mustad Ultrapoint Siwash hooked that have the point offset and inclined towards the shank.

I've also added a beadchain instead of a barrel swivel for the rear swivel of my colorado blades for a deeper hooking.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »

Thanks Matt - like the look of those Mustards, will give them a try. Typhoon I second that the DNE Siwash are rubbish, I think I broke over half of the pack that I got.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 08:03:46 AM »

Matt, where did you find the Mustad siwash?
The DNE's look great but are just too brittle.

Danube Boy

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:21 AM »

The sickle siwash I got were from here: http://store.rvrfshr.com/product_p/sickle.htm
Great quality hooks!