Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa Lake questions  (Read 7441 times)

Hoop71

Tunkwa Lake questions
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:56:36 PM »

My wife & I are thinking of travelling to Tunkwa Lake this weekend to do some fishing. The resort is sold out but I was thinking of staying in Logan Lake and just driving the 15 minutes to the lake.

My question is, is the lake private ie: for guests of the resort only? Can decent shore fishing be had as we will not have a boat? Lastly, if the first 2 questions are acceptable what should I bring for terminal tackle? We will be using spinning gear, not fly fishing.

I know worm/float and possible a fly under a float as well. Spinners/spoons?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tunkwa Lake questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 11:08:31 PM »

The lake is not private, the resort is. If you show up at the resort and ask, Al, Richard, Joedy at the office would be very happy to help you out on where you can fish around the lake. You can head over to the day use area and walk along the shore line and fish, you can also head over to the provincial campground where there is a newly built floating dock specifically for fishing. Most of the shoreline has direct access to pretty deep water 10 - 15ft) so you can easily reach fish. I've caught them by simply casting a 1/16oz Croc spoon. I've also caught them by float fishing with bait.

Logan Lake also has a floating dock where you can fish from, but it can get busy at times. You can also walk to some spots along the lake where you can fish.

sbc hris

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »

The lake is public. You can drive to the prov. Campground, or the day use area, and use those as starting points. Shore fishing can be successful. I'm sure you'd get a few on worms if you found somewhere to fish them that wasn't too weedy. Perhaps check out a depth chart of the lake before heading out to find out where the deeper water is. If you don't mind a little walking, you could park at the provincial campground, and hike around to the big knoll/hill. The water drops off pretty fast there iirc, and surely you could get into a fish or two there. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Edit: Rod beat me to it  :P

Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:30:33 PM »

Tunkwa Lake is well worth the trip if not just for a breath of fresh air and take in the beautiful, distinct scenery. We were in Kayaks - and it seems like it would be a bit tough to fish from shore there, but as Rod says that new dock is pretty awesome and a good place to cast and chill. Leighton from quick glance seemed like it may be easier from shore.

Walloper Lake near Lac Le Jeune is a pretty good one for shore casting in that area also - and pretty likely to get some action there.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 05:54:21 PM »

Check with  Al and see if there are any boat available to rent at Tunkwa Lodge/Resort.

Hoop71

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:46 PM »

Check with  Al and see if there are any boat available to rent at Tunkwa Lodge/Resort.

I actually just got a response from them as I emailed them that question. I thought the boats were for guests only but they said to call them Saturday to book a boat for Sunday. Hopefully there is a boat available then I will do that instead  of shore fishing.

Will update this thread if I have success on Sunday.

Also-anyone have tips on how to fish a fly under a float with spinning gear??

Cheers,
Dan 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »

Also-anyone have tips on how to fish a fly under a float with spinning gear??

Cheers,
Dan

Yep Al or Richard are usually super fast on getting back by email. Glad you might be able to get a boat for Sunday.

Pick up some flies from their office when you head out on Sunday. Ask Richard or Joedy what flies are working. To fish it under a float with spinning gear, just use a slip float. Adjust the float stopper so the float depth is just a bit shorter than the lake depth.

Hoop71

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 11:25:29 PM »

Yep Al or Richard are usually super fast on getting back by email. Glad you might be able to get a boat for Sunday.

Pick up some flies from their office when you head out on Sunday. Ask Richard or Joedy what flies are working. To fish it under a float with spinning gear, just use a slip float. Adjust the float stopper so the float depth is just a bit shorter than the lake depth.

Thanks Rod! Do I need to add any weight to the leader with the fly? How long of a leader?

Dan

mci

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 12:20:06 PM »

we caught some nice 3 lbers last weekend trolling spinners and small rapallas around the lake. Lake seems a bit moody but late afternoon by the campground seems hot right now

Hoop71

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 03:41:11 PM »

we caught some nice 3 lbers last weekend trolling spinners and small rapallas around the lake. Lake seems a bit moody but late afternoon by the campground seems hot right now

Thanks!

Anyone have the answer to my question about using a fly under a float on a spinning rod? Do I just let the fly sink or do I put some small split shots on the leader? How long of a leader? How far up from fly should I place split shot?

Ideas Rod?

Cheers,
Dan

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »

Those who flyfish with an indicator commonly just let the fly and swivel sink on its own, though it can take a minute or two if fishing deep water. In your case though, with a spinning reel you may need some split shot to help with castability and prevent line tangles.

2-4 ft of 4-6lb leader is sufficient. Use a swivel between leader and mainline and put any split shot above the swivel. If fishing deeper water, use a sliding float with a float stop as Rodney suggests to make your life easier. It's important to set the depth so that the fly is close to the bottom, ideally within a foot or so. Once you cast out and it has settled, either let it work itself by wave action or do a *slow* retrieve of a few inches a second or even slower.

Hoop71

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 08:13:01 AM »

Well I managed to book one of the rental 14' boats at the resort so I don't have to worry about shore access anymore.

Will update how my day goes tomorrow.

Dan

Hoop71

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 06:34:59 PM »

Well came back today from Tunkwa Lake and all in all it was a great trip. I was able to rent a boat from the resort which was great.

After all my questions about float fishing with flies etc. we ended up catching all out fish on old fashioned Croc spoons.

My wife & I tried worms & flies at multiple depths but got nothing, nada & squat.

It was very cool  in the morning when we headed out and at least the rain held off as the skies were looking very ominous. After lunch the skies cleared a little and the wind died down a bit but we were still bummed as no fish to be had. I decided to try one of my 1/16 Oz Crocs and was into a fish by about the third cast. My wife then switched to a spoon as well and was into fish. The last 3 hours in the afternoon we hooked into 12 fish but only landed 6.....man these fish are acrobatic and great at spitting the hook! Nothing too large but about 16-18 inches.

On the way home we stopped at Walloper Lake for a few hours and caught several small trout as well.

All in all a great way to spend the weekend.

Sorry having issues with pics....uploaded pic 3 times :(

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:36:38 PM by Hoop71 »

sbc hris

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »

Thanks for reporting back! Glad you got into a few. I would probably have never thought to try chucking croc spoons there. Ya just never know   ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »

Good to hear Dan. The 1/16oz Gibbs Croc pretty much never fails there. You won't be able to get into one fish after another because these fish just don't take lures well when hatches are happening, but they will always react to it every now and then. If fly fishing is slow, the spoon will always get fish. I was doing the same thing there back in May, had a lot of fun using a really light 1-4lb ultralight setup.