Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reporting a violation does absolutely nothing!!!  (Read 6549 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Reporting a violation does absolutely nothing!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 09:24:14 PM »

I the way I look at it is that North Vancouver is a joke in terms of the city supporting recreational fishers.  There isnt a single public dock (salt) in north vancouver that I can take my boys to and fish crabs or even perch.  

Gooey I understand your frustration but the fact is that there's No Fishing between the Lion's Gate and Ironworkers Memorial Bridge-that leaves little room for recreational fisheries in North Van.

So don't feel down, if your report wasn't acted on this time.  May be the next call will.  Who knows.  But one thing for sure, if no one reports no action will be taken.

Well put!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 05:57:32 PM »

I think you are missing the point.  Common sense would dictate that a dock busy with people fishing and lines sticking out for crab traps would not mix well with a dock busy with incoming and outgoing boats.  Imaging your kid falling in the water and getting chewed up by a prop on a boat coming/leaving.  Who would be to blame?  Who would be negligent, you or the boater?  I would think you.

In terms of spending more tax money, I would like to know what percent of the dock users actually live within the District of North Van?  Wouldn't it be unfair for the residents of the district to pay more taxes for public use of their docks by non-district residents?  Would you be willing to pay a small fee to crab/fish off of that dock if you lived in Richmond?

Now should there be a public dock in NV where people like Gooey can take their kids? ... I don't see why not but I hope you don't complain if the crabbing sucks... lol.  I'm not too sure and I may be totally mistaken, but aren't most of the popular fishing/crabbing docks not really intended for boats?

Shane

Why not compare to other public piers where crabbers and boaters co-exist in peace. Piers like Belcara and Jericho Beach are places people can crab all year long and boaters can anchor also. Are these parks funded differently from Cates Park?  All they need to do is to widen the area at the end so crabbers can have some room to set their traps. Is that too much to ask for? People pay taxes with or without a boat, so why should only the boaters be given the facility to enjoy crabbing? If all public parks pursue the user-pay policy, then many average joes and their families will be denied. Not fair. Boaters pay for the launch and extra parking space of the trailers. They should not own the piers. 

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »

That dock is large enough so that if everyone respects each other, there should be plenty of room for all.  Considering N van is such an outdoorsy community (which pays some of the highest taxes in the GVRD), I think that its insane there is no public fishing space (from a dock).

I had one rod and my 2 kids down at the deep cove dock...we were fishing for perch, just having a little fun.  Some clown, a skinny old fart came strutting down with this shiny badge hanging off his belt (may have been the "dock master")....seriously the guy had a swagger to him that made me think he thought he was the big shot sherrif in town...anyhow we were tucked under the ramp, not getting in anyones way and he comes running down like someone is doing 90 thru a school zone.  He was just such a chump  that this particular issue kinda sticks in my craw.

And sam...you must have 15-20 km of shoreline from 2nd narrows to deep cove...I think its a shame we d not have a public dock that permits fishing in that entire stretch.  Secondly, I think that rule (no fishing between the bridges) is because its a heavily used commercial vessel lane (cruise ships, tankers, etc) so the rule really shouldnt impact shore fishers or even the construction of a small fishing dock.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 10:35:57 AM »

Too bad they have to exclude the people who has less means or physical ability to handle a boat. Most of the boaters are crabbers anyway, and the dock is purely used to faciliitate this group of crabbers at the best time of the year. What a pathetic rule of exclusion there. There are also lots of new immigrants moving int NV district. They have to provide some facility of shore line recreation such as a pier for fishing and crabbing year round for these people who pay their share of property taxes. I tried crabbing at the Ambleside pier a few times (after my Cap trip) and I have not seen one legal sized crab except the red rock crab. Perhaps the water there is too fast for the big ones. Does anybody have more luck crabbing there?

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 01:42:38 PM »

Next time read the sign properly. It doesn't say that 'we REQUEST that you don't crab or fish'. It clearly states that you are not allowed to. Here's also a prime example of a new generation being told to defy the letter of the law just because you can't find a legal area to crab/fish. Did you tell your kids that the sign was only meant for other people?