Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you when the water is too dirty to eat fish out of...  (Read 4384 times)

slamman190

• here fishy fishy fishy...
    • Dan's Blog
How do you when the water is too dirty to eat fish out of...
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:54:15 PM »

I have heard people say that they would NEVER eat anything that comes out of mill lake or other places.  How do you know which waters are safe to eat out of?  If it was not safe, wouldn't fisheries put out an advisory saying so?  Can you tell the difference between fish from "dirty water" and "clean water"?   

Or is this whole thing a psychological one, where people see lots of goose poo or whatever and decide they would not eat fish from that habitat...  Isn't the fraser system pretty dirty, yet people seem to have no trouble eating salmon out of it.

Anybody have any insights or opinion? ???

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: How do you when the water is too dirty to eat fish out of...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 06:59:01 PM »

Not only is it the color but what runs into it. Allot of sloughs are on farm land. Sure the fraser has crap running in it but its a huge river. The salmon dont live in the fraser all the time unlike other species. Like the bass that live in the sloughs stay in the sloughs. They stay in the filth their whole life unlike salmon.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:55:30 PM »

Also did they not find body parts in Mill lake. Yummy fish there  :P  :-X . I guess it all depends on where the lake is located. The sloughs in Pitt polder are basically drainage sloughs for the farms and the golf courses. In fact Swan-e-set golf course has it's own sewer treatment plant (trust me it has not always been up to par, no pun intended). The interior lakes all seem fine but most lakes with cabins have septic fields so look at how many cabins on the lake. So Like I said it all depends on where the sloughs, ponds and lakes are located and what drains into them.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:39:17 PM »

I suppose if you throw up after eating them. Then again it may be when you get testicular cancer 10 years down the road.. Hopefully that helps.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 09:40:37 PM »

I suppose if you throw up after eating them. Then again it may be when you get testicular cancer 10 years down the road.. Hopefully that helps.

:D :D

Planted fish tend to taste funny to me period...Even the ones in Tunkwa after it warms a bit taste muddy to me.... I just let um all go now... Salmon suits my pallot better anyways... :P

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:43:07 PM »

me too. kept a couple trout last year and did not care for them too much. I guess we are spoiled with all the salmon we can get here.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 09:58:36 PM »

After my Corbett trip last year where I kept a couple I decided thats it. I am no longer keeping trout. I never did like the taste of trout and only took them home for family to eat. I love my salmon.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family