Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson River  (Read 3569 times)

Moby Dick

Thompson River
« on: November 14, 2004, 11:42:42 PM »

I am thinking of giving the Thompson river a try to hopefully land my first steelhead. I am not familiar with the river at all, any tips on where to try and what to use? I would be fly fishing.

Thanks

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re: Thompson River
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 07:21:42 AM »

the boat launch in chase is a good area for a fly fisher.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 01:01:06 PM »

The Graveyard run is a Spences Bridge is a good place to start.

GP, Stonefly Nymph, black Stimulator, and Steelhead Bee are all good bets.

Wade carefully those rocks are slick.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Moby Dick

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 01:06:46 PM »

Thanks for the info newsman and pepsitrev.

Now I know steelhead are pretty elusive and tricky to catch especially on the fly, however if I spend a weekend at say Spences Bridge fishing for them, should I be able to catch at least one? 

Thanks guys!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 01:27:51 PM »

I would not be concerned Moby. The Thom has improved greatly over the last few years, so if you don't get a Steely or three I would put money on you catching a few nice Bows.

For some local help talk to Lorri & John at the Log Cabin Pub, Kim & Barry at Acacia Grove or Lynn & Ray at The Inn At The Bridge. Don't forget to tell them Jeff & Kim refered you, that way you find good local info so hard to come by. Also if you need tackle or tags drop in to see my freind Linda at Big Horn. 

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 01:42:53 PM »

Expecting to catch a steelhead on any given outting is setting yourself up for failure!  Add to that that you fly fish...you do have a formidible task.

I have 3 trips to the thompson with 2/1/0 fish perspectively but I was using spoons and bait...not sure how that compares to the average fly fisher.

The Grave yard is definitely the run I recommend you focus on.  Gold pan is another good run but its not as good for fly I think (lotsa pocket water).  There's a great run at a white water rafting launch that I like too.

If you go to the Thompson, there is a definite ettiquette that I was not aware of during my first trip.  As I remember it, I walk in to a run were a guy was fishing ALONE and went 50+ feet down river of him.  He bitched me out for walking in down stream (as I recall).   Apparently I shoulda gone UP river?!?  My granda always taught me to fish up a run not down (so you come up on the fish from behind)....not on the Thompson apparently!

Moby Dick

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 04:03:40 PM »

Newsman, Thanks for the local refers. If I make it up there I will be sure to stop by and talk to at least one of them.  I would not be dissapointed to not catch a steelie, just getting up there and fishing for one would be awesome. However I do like to fish where there is a remote chance of a steelie newbie like me to somehow fool one ;)

Gooey, Thanks for the tip on the local ettiquette. I have encountered both types (top to bottom and bottom to top) on different systems as well. I am used to fishing up a run as well, so you don't allow the fish to see you coming. I found a map showing what looks like a lot of the good spots to fish, I see the Grave Yard and Gold Pan on there. Thanks for the tips.

Now I just need to find the time!

Cheers

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 09:34:57 PM »

One last word, the Rainbows up there are awsome. Residents run up to six pounds.