Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar fishing tomorrow  (Read 6419 times)

poper

Bar fishing tomorrow
« on: October 31, 2021, 10:07:38 PM »

Is this Opening on the lower Fraser?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Bar fishing tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 10:11:22 PM »

No.

The tentative opening date of salmon fishing in the Tidal Fraser River was November 2nd, but the notice is not out yet. I sent in a reminder on Friday and they are looking at it...

poper

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 10:20:07 PM »

Thanks, it’s sad, we used to have the whole family out early October bar fishing, it takes away from people who can’t walk far, or the elderly that just want to get out.it’s really a joke, that’s it’s closed

Plus will never get it back!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:23:12 PM by poper »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 09:42:34 AM »

it's been over 20 years since the Interior Fraser coho window was closed and those stocks showed little or no sign of recovery in all that time. That closed what to my memory was often the best time for bar fishing on the tidal Fraser, the last 10 days of September and the first week or so of October. Not always the best fishing but consistent and jack springs were regular parts of our catch in some years. The weather was usually good! the old Albion bar was a nice walk and never crowded.

last fall after Thanksgiving my wife and I went to Fort Langley for lunch and then drove east on River Road to Duncan bar. In the fall her grandparents used to keep a trailer out there and she wanted to see it again. Despite the closure there were people obviously fishing for salmon as they had bar rigs with roe. even the classic pre-rigged bar set so when the bait was gone it was just a quick switch.

You can retain hatchery trout in the tidal section but not above Mission. It's a goofy situation. I am sure it will never reopen in what's left of my fishing lifetime.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »

it's been over 20 years since the Interior Fraser coho window was closed and those stocks showed little or no sign of recovery in all that time. That closed what to my memory was often the best time for bar fishing on the tidal Fraser, the last 10 days of September and the first week or so of October. Not always the best fishing but consistent and jack springs were regular parts of our catch in some years. The weather was usually good! the old Albion bar was a nice walk and never crowded.

last fall after Thanksgiving my wife and I went to Fort Langley for lunch and then drove east on River Road to Duncan bar. In the fall her grandparents used to keep a trailer out there and she wanted to see it again. Despite the closure there were people obviously fishing for salmon as they had bar rigs with roe. even the classic pre-rigged bar set so when the bait was gone it was just a quick switch.

You can retain hatchery trout in the tidal section but not above Mission. It's a goofy situation. I am sure it will never reopen in what's left of my fishing lifetime.

I hope you document all the lost fishery's you know about seriously i would love reading the history of it.  Most people don't even no what was once available.

stsfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »

Ah Duncan Bar- 1986 I turned 16 and drove my first car down to Duncan bar regularly to fish with "the old timers" I still remember them showing me the ropes. I can also remember catching my first large Cutthroat trout on a rig their, it was a 22" wild cutthroat. I will always remember my mentors arguing whether it could have been kept or had to be released. I did release it, and every other wild I ever caught there. At that time I do believe you could kill wild trout in the tidal portion but this fished sparked a debate between the "old timers" that I will never forget.
We would fish the tides and back then that also meant you could fish at night on the in coming which was a lot of fun. Beers, fire and faint sounds of bells ringing when you had a fish on. Most mornings you would wake up in your car or still by the coals of the fire.

I do not miss the lower river bar fishery as I feel the use of bait on a rig is pure suicide for the fish that make a decision to take it. I do however miss the upper river spin and glow fishery as it really did create a lot of fine memories I fear my eventual grandchildren will never know. My kids thankfully did get a taste of these fisheries but not enough to really have fond memories but at least they had been exposed.

Hopefully one day.................

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »

Growing up in Surrey near Brownsville bar and Ritchie brothers bar my dad introduced me to bar rigging for coho at a very young age.  Everyone knew each other and what a cast of colourful characters that fished there. I fished there every October for many yrs into my adulthood catching adult coho and jacks on fresh cured chum roe we bought from Ivan Berry of Berrys baits. The outgoing tide was the time to fish there right till low tide. When the tide starting coming back in it was time to pack up and go home. Great memories that I will carry with me for the rest of what I have to live.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 05:50:52 PM »

Growing up in Surrey near Brownsville bar and Ritchie brothers bar my dad introduced me to bar rigging for coho at a very young age.  Everyone knew each other and what a cast of colourful characters that fished there. I fished there every October for many yrs into my adulthood catching adult coho and jacks on fresh cured chum roe we bought from Ivan Berry of Berrys baits. The outgoing tide was the time to fish there right till low tide. When the tide starting coming back in it was time to pack up and go home. Great memories that I will carry with me for the rest of what I have to live.

I saw people bar fish there since this salmon season start whenever I went there. looks you don't have to keep in memories.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 07:57:06 PM »

Remembered crossing the Patullo bridge after my shift at BC Pen and fishing the Brownsville Bar. There used to be a dilapidated dock there where we fished from. Used to catch cutthroats 2 at a time on our bar rigs. Caught my first salmon bar fishing.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 10:05:58 PM »

Remembered crossing the Patullo bridge after my shift at BC Pen and fishing the Brownsville Bar. There used to be a dilapidated dock there where we fished from. Used to catch cutthroats 2 at a time on our bar rigs. Caught my first salmon bar fishing.
Yup. I remember the old wharf at Brownsville. You had to watch where you stepped before they tore it down as there was holes in the deck. People fished from the old wharf and I remember hearing stories of people getting thrown off the wharf and into the river as a way of settling an argument.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 10:07:16 PM »

Bar fished there to back in the day. We backed the truck up to the river and tossed the bar rig out , set the rod in the truck box pockets. Lawn chairs in the back of the truck , beers and dogs (pets) . Lots of coho , springs . Good times 🤠. See what the future holds , maybe get back to the basics one day .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Jamier

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 12:53:31 PM »

Spent many days down at Brownsville Bar in the early 80's before the sky train.  Some of the best years of my teenage years.  Whether it was Fred, Mike, Curly, Joe, Mr Gibson or Barnacle  Bill, they always made room for me to fish. Good memories.  Took those days for granted, when it came to fishing.  Things have changed and it is sad to see. Maybe one day we will be able to fish again on the lower a bit earlier than Nov. I don't see a notice out yet, does anyone know whether it is open or not?  Tightlines

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 06:09:01 PM »

Spent many days down at Brownsville Bar in the early 80's before the sky train.  Some of the best years of my teenage years.  Whether it was Fred, Mike, Curly, Joe, Mr Gibson or Barnacle  Bill, they always made room for me to fish. Good memories.  Took those days for granted, when it came to fishing.  Things have changed and it is sad to see. Maybe one day we will be able to fish again on the lower a bit earlier than Nov. I don't see a notice out yet, does anyone know whether it is open or not?  Tightlines
I remember Curly and Barnacle Bill! Curly was good buddies with my Dad. I remember my Dad bringing a drunk Curly over to our house to meet my mom. She was not impressed! Lol. Little Paul, Ernie and Bulll Sh*t Larry were part of that gang as well. Good times and like you say we took the great fishing and fun times for granted. Those were the days…

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 09:09:36 PM »

Emails were sent out by me as well as Dean Werk on behalf of the Fraser Valley Salmon Society to press for the opening, no updates since unfortunately.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 09:20:49 PM »

Emails were sent out by me as well as Dean Werk on behalf of the Fraser Valley Salmon Society to press for the opening, no updates since unfortunately.

hopefully, they open it while there are still some fish in the river :-\
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin