Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who Dictates the Fraser?  (Read 6419 times)

kosanin kosher salt

Who Dictates the Fraser?
« on: August 13, 2021, 09:09:23 AM »

I always hear the Fraser is shut for good, a very long time or forever for recreational fisheries. How does the dfo or psc or whoever know what happens in the future like next month or next year?
Fishery projections and estimates have many times been met and wildly off.
Next year we’re hoping for that big sockeye run and it seems like this 2021 year the sockeye run is picking up steam to excessively exceed the 1 million fish pre season estimate.
I believe if it’s a ‘good’ year they should open to recreational bar and bottom bouncing anglers who only take 1% of the fish.
It ain’t fair that anglers get the shits,

kosanin kosher salt

Re: Who Dictates the Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »

Thank you and good for the advocates of recreational fisheries of the fraser pink, chinook and sockeye. Too many anglers sit on the side and wait for an opening and let a few individuals and businesses do the hard work

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 09:33:01 AM »

the salmon fishery is currently closed. Sturgeon is open and going full bore. The Fraser is expected to open for everything in November. Maybe there will be a pink opening in tidal section if the run is large enough? Wait and see!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

4x4

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 11:03:31 AM »

When the Fraser gets to 70 fahrenheit in passed years DFO has closed it to all Salmon and Sturgeon fishing. A few times this summer it has reached that temperature.

This temperature is dangerous for Sturgeon/Salmon since many may not recover from the fight.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »

I always hear the Fraser is shut for good, a very long time or forever for recreational fisheries. How does the dfo or psc or whoever know what happens in the future like next month or next year?
Fishery projections and estimates have many times been met and wildly off.
Next year we’re hoping for that big sockeye run and it seems like this 2021 year the sockeye run is picking up steam to excessively exceed the 1 million fish pre season estimate.
I believe if it’s a ‘good’ year they should open to recreational bar and bottom bouncing anglers who only take 1% of the fish.
It ain’t fair that anglers get the shits,

I hear ya, used to BB the Fraser when whonnack gillnet catches were over 100. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:45:51 AM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »

98 thousand sockeye estimated passing the mission counting station yesterday.

Thats almost half of last years total return lol

Roderick

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 02:28:33 PM »

The real problem isn't we recreational fishers, it's the commercial guys.  For some reason that I don't understand, the only time we get a rec opening is when there is enough fish for a commercial fishery.  The commies get 95% of the allocation and we get 5%. Funnily enough, the rec fishery contributes more to GDP then the com does, after you take EI and other benefits in to account.  I actually saw a study (years ago) that after everything is taken in to account, the com fishery actually loses money for the country.

Why the two fisheries are tied together like this I have no idea, as this relationship was decided years ago when fish stocks were still healthy. 

Well things have changed (it's 2021), and I suggest there needs to be a re-think about this. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 02:30:43 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Alomar

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »

I can’t take my 8 year old to catch a humpy in the river but I can buy salmon off my neighbor who’s native….sad times

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 07:58:59 PM »

I hope the Fraser is open for Sockeye next yr. 2018 was a good season. Had a buddy come down from the Yukon and we limited out everyday he was here. Good times.

Alomar

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 08:27:21 PM »

It won’t be open

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »

I can’t take my 8 year old to catch a humpy in the river but I can buy salmon off my neighbor who’s native….sad times

you don't report him?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 08:59:46 PM »

[] For some reason that I don't understand, the only time we get a rec opening is when there is enough fish for a commercial fishery....

that's not true. There have been many years the river has been open, yes for sockeye and there was no commercial fishery.

Alomar

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 10:19:02 PM »

Haha no , this has been happening for years, I grew up with a couple guys who fish a couple months of the year and sell their fish and their families are taken care of ,,, reporting one guy won’t do anything, needs to be a change in government, as I’m sure sure your aware of,, look , I don’t blame these guys one bit , if I was in their boat I’d probably do the same thing, I respect the past, I respect the culture , it’s 2021, everyone needs to be treated equal staring now,,,,,I apologize for the negativity but it’s frustrating, I’m out on this one
Tight lines

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 10:34:05 PM »

ok, I understand what you are saying. However I've known people who complain about it ferociously but buy the fish anyway 'cause it was from a 'friend'.

Alomar

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 11:05:43 PM »

I don’t buy fish