Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you tie a 'bait-loop' to the end of your line?  (Read 4558 times)

Bozzo

• I need to go FISHING!
Can you tie a 'bait-loop' to the end of your line?
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:04:09 PM »

???  A long time ago, I watched a fisherman break-off on a snag, then tie on a new hook directly on the remaining leader.  That newly tied hook included a bait-loop.  I've always tied my bait-loops to a separate leader, then tied the leader to my swivel, so seeing this surprised me.  The helpfull fisherman gave me a brief description on the "how to", but it wasn't absorbed.  I didn't want him to delay his fishing, repeating it until I would finally get it, so I thanked him and went on my way.

Many times, I've wished I could remember that 'tie' when my remaining leader looked good after a break-off.  So, do any of you have knowledge of a bait-loop tie that would be applied the same way?... It would give me more time fishing and less time fumbling with leader spools... not to mention the savings on leaders.
Getting older faster... Getting smarter slower... Getting some, now and then.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: Can you tie a 'bait-loop' to the end of your line?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:58:47 PM »

Yes, I know a knot where you run the line through the eyelet of the hook, (other end still attached to your swivel and mainline), wrap around a few times and tighten.  If I can find instructions, I will  post.
President Club S. C. & P.

fishfinder

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 10:02:12 AM »

Just look at the site Fish Assassin posted. It's the knot you were looking for.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:40:57 AM »

I posted this picutre of how to tie a stopper knot on your mainline, but the same knot can be applied to a hook to form a sliding bait loop:

Just substitute the mainline with a hook shank, and have the line on the left (exiting the picture) going through the eye of the hook, this will form a knot on the hook shank that can slide, slide the knot down the shank, put in your roe or whatever and slide back up to the eye.

I know this knot is used on spade end hooks in Europe, and I've also seen it used in Asia on spade end hooks, but it works just as well on eyed hooks.

A word of warning, I've used the same knot for halibut leaders and salmon moohcing leaders, it snaps sometimes when using larger diameter lines, for this reason I've moved onto the bait-loops that require you to untie from the swivel and go from there.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 02:37:39 PM »

yup... a good ol fashioned snell knot. I've been using it for years and years. I generally use the snell for tying wool leaders as it holds the wool much tighter than the typical bait loop knot. The only problem with using the snell for bait such as roe is that the bait doesn't hold together as well as the line cuts into it more. Never had a problem using the snell on my salt water rigs, cut plug, anchovie or otherwise. One of the first knots i learned.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:10:03 PM »

I agree, with alwaysfishin, using a snell hold wool alot better. But when i fish bait with that knot, i slide the knot down a little and works better the the improved bait loop.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 05:00:40 PM »

This may sound strange, but why would you? wouldn't that mean you'd have to carry empty hooks too? I don't see how it would be anything but more time consuming then just tieing on a new leader with hook to your swivel? Also, the remaining leader if broken could possibly be damaged from rubbing on whatever broke it so I wouldn't want to use it anyway...Just a thought, maybe I'm missing something here?