Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer fishing with roe bags or chunks when water is like it is now, low?

Roe bags
- 58 (29.6%)
Chunks
- 138 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....  (Read 103401 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »

Hey fishunter - how long are you drying your roe?  Maybe reduce the drying time and use less borax?  Sorry - I'm no expert here and I am not familiiar with procure.

I recently have been trying pink roe and found that it tends to go a bit mushy throughout the day (the eggs seem to slowly bleed out juice).  Is that normal?  This roe certainly works - but I don't recall spring or coho roe being so juicy.  Maybe the roe was too imature at first?  Maybe I added too much cure?  Hmm...

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »

I do pink roe in a yogurt pot, butterfly the skeins, tiny sprinkle (1/2 teaspoon) procure, close lid and roll around for a minute or so. Leave overnight, periodically give pot a roll until all juice has been reabsorbed. Put on drying rack until desired consistency is reached. Bag up, add borax. Good to go. Seems to stay on the hook for a long time, and tears apart easily by hand into chunks with minimal mess which are the main things for me. Am sure there are more elaborate method that are even better but I'm lazy. I find if you use as much as they recommend you just end up burning the roe. For an even easier method, put roe on drying rack until it's how you like it, put in a bag with borax!

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »

I really love the Pautzke
i really enjoy using the pautzkes...  but the plain borax cure has done me well...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:21:34 PM by joska »
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

mikeyman

« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »

pink pautzkes, soak it in a zip lock for a day, then cut it up in fishable pieces, add some borax to make it less messy, or it helps from freezer burn if you freeze it.

simple and very effective.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »

also pautzkes doesn't seem to stain as much.

Morty

« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »

AVOID USING KITCHEN FRIDGE FREEZER!!

When storing frozen roe it's really important to use a chest or dedicated freezer and NOT the freezer in the kitchen refridgerator.  Aside from the sometime female issues about "no yucky roe with our food" Here's why:

The way the auto-defrost works in most kitchen fridges is by allowing the freezer to warm up a bit on a regular basis.  When the freezer gets near or above zero, any frost melts and the dehumidifier pulls the moisture out.  (every get out the ice cream and  find it's a bit softer than it should be?  You likely caught the warm cycle).  Chest freezers and dedicated uprights don't do that.  That warming and dehumidifying will considerably add to the freezer burn and also shorten the storage life of frozen roe.

Best option - use the chest freezer
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:30:43 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Danube Boy

« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »

Cured some commercially bought spring roe; had a bunch of blood vessels on the skein membrane which I was going to remove. However, once I butterflied the skeins there were blood vessels everywhere, around every single egg. Obviously the fish hadn't been bled but that's the case with commercially bought fish/roe. I know it isn't ideal or even good to have roe full of blood vessels, but how bad is it? Still reasonable to expect it to "work"?

ziggypal

« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »

Cured some commercially bought spring roe; had a bunch of blood vessels on the skein membrane which I was going to remove. However, once I butterflied the skeins there were blood vessels everywhere, around every single egg. Obviously the fish hadn't been bled but that's the case with commercially bought fish/roe. I know it isn't ideal or even good to have roe full of blood vessels, but how bad is it? Still reasonable to expect it to "work"?

I know this thread ended last year, but I found this a good unanswered question. Anybody know the damage that can be caused by still having blood lines still in the roe that's about to be cured?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »

It should still work. That being said, I make a point to remove the blood from the veins prior to curing.
Actions speak louder than words.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #174 on: September 12, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »

I have tried pretty much every method on the web. Yet i found i got best result from a salt and a little sugar wet cure. I put as much salt in as the water can dissolve then fully submerge the roe. Leave it in for about one and a half hours. Take it out and put it on drying racks for about 3-5 hours. Making sure it dosent dry out too much. The result is firm and very juice row that stays on the hook for well over ten casts. Simple is key i find when it comes to anything :p as for storing i just wrap the cured eggs in sandwich baggies then freeze them. My last batch was still good for early chinooks this summer, well over a year of storing.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:07:50 PM by Floater »
[

ziggypal

« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »

It should still work. That being said, I make a point to remove the blood from the veins prior to curing.

Thanks sterling.

farky

« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »

i use pro cure and glass jars i sprinkle some on each skein toss em in the jar.After an hour so on the counter i drain the excess juice ,i toss it in the fridge for a day next day give it a good shake turn it upside down leave it for another day.then i take it out of the jars put a couple skeins into Ziploc bags and freeze it till i need it or lay it on some newspaper let it air dry cut it into chunks throw it into a Ziploc bag throw some borax on it to help with the mess then its ready to go .

mvelasco

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I just starred curing my own roe. I used the pro cure orange and thet turned out as adverrised. To harden them even further I added some kosher salt to the jar and froze them. As my double header approaches I plan on rinsing them and patting them dry to seperate into individual bags. Was the salt step a little much?

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »

Should be ok....depends if it sat in the salt for a while before freezing.......packing in borax is better.....add the salt during curing...DON"T RINSE...thaw and use..
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

mvelasco

« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »

The kosher salt is rather thick, hopefully it will dissolve. Gotta pick up some of that borax, and littles baggies...ill get some weird looks