Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 129253 times)

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: 2014 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2014, 07:38:58 AM »

and what do the monitor's do.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »

I've been on the Fraser 5 times in the last 10 days and I haven't seen a 1st Nations gill net set anywhere. Commercial openings have been restricted to troll fisheries and purse seiners outside the 45 fathom line. Troll I gather won't cause a lot of by-catch and any by-catch should have a better survival chance. Do they continue to allow seining in deep water but no gillnets as seine nets there avoid by-catch? Anyone know definitively? ( some folks will respond No without knowing).
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »

It's not that the seine nets avoid the by-catch - although they do to some extent because they are chasing schools of Sockeye.

Gill nets are a "kill all" type of fishery - many fish hooked in a gill net die in the net.

Seine fishing pulls the whole net full of fish onto the boat where they can sort and release any non-retention by-catch.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2014, 01:42:59 PM »

I know how purse seines work , my real question (the QBQ as it were) is the requirement to fish outside the 45 fathom line reflect a reduced likelihood to intercept other salmonids that sockeye?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »

Seine fishing pulls the whole net full of fish onto the boat where they can sort and release any non-retention by-catch.

Except nearly every fish in that seine net is dead, unless it's in the top few fish. So really they are just throwing back dead fish anyway.

With sets the size they are getting, most of the fish are dead from the weight of the other fish the moment they are lifted into the boat out of the water.

Robert_G

« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »

Except nearly every fish in that seine net is dead, unless it's in the top few fish. So really they are just throwing back dead fish anyway.

With sets the size they are getting, most of the fish are dead from the weight of the other fish the moment they are lifted into the boat out of the water.

That is 100% correct. It is mind boggling how so many people can believe (brainwashed) otherwise. I'd like for those people to get in a net with 1000 other people and see if they aren't crushed to death.

Nothing survives (except the few fish on top) the giant seine nets that are used for sockeye in the ocean. The fish are either kept or they are dead from the weight of the other fish. Common sense.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »

Almost all sox I saw today were colored, they are getting long in the tooth, lots still out there though. Saw a ton of 1st nations netting going on. never seen this before...a boat would head out, zip up river while a truck drove on shore parallel to it holding the other end of the net...5 -10 minutes...hundreds of fish, the water was just boiling as they brought the net back along the shore to fill a caravan of pick-up with totes in the bed. They are doing well out there today!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »

what area was that.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »

Agazzi

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »

were you flossing. is it still worth it.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2014, 07:00:48 PM »

from what I saw everyone flossing got their fish easily, sox jumping everywere, if you like to floss its easy pickings. the majority of fish I saw had a pinkish tinge though, saw some nice chrome ones though. most 7-8 lbers...decent size.

TacoChris

« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2014, 11:35:10 PM »

The pinkish socks will mostly all be male like all salmon species they start  to colour first. I caught 2 females today that where silver my buddy got 2 males both with some colour.  There is nothing wrong with the majority of  them I would encourage people not to throw them back hoping to catch a silver fish.  It is very common for some runs to be more coloured. I never find any issue keeping them. 

Silver

« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »

Where in Aggasiz?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2014, 09:00:40 AM »

when it is a full seine the fish at the bottom will be dead but I have seen many sets were all the fish are alive when dumped on the deck.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »

Almost all sox I saw today were colored, they are getting long in the tooth, lots still out there though. Saw a ton of 1st nations netting going on. never seen this before...a boat would head out, zip up river while a truck drove on shore parallel to it holding the other end of the net...5 -10 minutes...hundreds of fish, the water was just boiling as they brought the net back along the shore to fill a caravan of pick-up with totes in the bed. They are doing well out there today!

sounds like beach seining - there's been limited beach seining opening this time of year for some years now.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=164684&ID=all