Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Fraser August 1st  (Read 4030 times)

allwaysfishin

Upper Fraser August 1st
« on: August 01, 2005, 01:21:40 PM »

arrived at our favorite spring hole this morning. First on the beach. Fished about half hour before two guys came to join us. Boy did it monsoon this morning!!!!!! Anyhow, being first on the bar did nothing for us as the two who showed up after us were the only folks out of 30 or so that had any springs on the tag. Saw a chrome bullet about 15lbs and a real beauty of about 35lbs landed in the wee hours of first light. No springs to the beach for me but i did shake hands with one for a few good headshakes and a blistering unstoppable run before throwing the hook. Saw probably 10 or so sockeye hooked, 3 were on my line. Pleased to report that ALL sockeye hooked were released in the river and all were played very quickly. Good to see a general will to treat the sox with care. A whole load of newbies showed up and crowded out the bar with short casts and insufficient wieght. Suddenly a very nice mornings fish turned into a total beakfest with lines getting tangled and such. Time to go I said to myself...... maybe I'll get one tomorrow. All in all a pleasant morning, the rain was quite refreshing it was so warm out this a.m. and untill the beaks showed up the atmosphere was freindly on the bar.
I'll hit it up again tomorrow morn and give ya a fresh report.
by the way, this report is from an increasingly popular bar off highway 7
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 04:52:46 PM by Rodney »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: upper fraser report
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 01:34:25 PM »

Good report Thomas. You actually get a day off to go fishing ? ;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 04:51:10 PM »

You don't drive an old blue ford do ya?
Actions speak louder than words.

fisher88

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:55:19 PM »

man im a noob too. Dont no what weights to use in some spots however i can cast. And i manage not to tangle other guys lines. what pissed me off was last year when this man casts out his setup then lets his line go out and lets it bounce all the way downstream. i managed to hook is line and it felt like a fish so i yelled fish on. Turns out it was his line ( 5th person upstream from me). as i walked up there everyone was telling me to pound him to misery! lol!.
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 10:37:21 PM »

Ignorance plain and simple. I've seen float fishermen extending their drift so far downstream that he snares 5 other lines when he retrieves. If he likes that spot that much why doesn't he just go down and fish it. >:(

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 11:22:17 PM »

seems someone didn't like my comment regarding beaks hehehe
so here is my brief definition
a newbie is just that, new to any particular fishery. this is the early stages of developing a new technique. Some folks become skilled or at least competent with that technique because they follow the obvious paths to learn said technique. they do so with open minds and observation of how the skilled and competent perform. the newbie sits back and watches, asks questions, pays attention to the anglers around him/her and realizes the causes and effects of thier version of the new technique on the others around them. The newbie goes out and after all thier observations and efforts can generally expect to become competent at the new technique relaively quickly, using the right gear for the job.

A beak is someone who, has had all the same opportunites to learn the proper techniques, chooses not too and has no clue about the cause and effect of thier actions and thier effects on those around them. beaks generally have a tough time understanding the definition of basic angling ethics and on the water edicit.

Remember though, beaks are people too and sometimes a few small pointers from the competent or skilled angler can help the odd beak back onto the path to angling competency.   ;D  ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 10:14:55 AM »

:P I doubt it. A beak is a beak for a reason. Most of them are too ignorant to change their ways. I have nicley tried on many occassions to help out a beak but only got back a nasty attitude so I have just given up. I have noticed though that alot of beaks play it stupid about not knowing to pinch their barbs. So now If I hook up with a beak and their barb is not pinched I just cut their line off.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

fisher88

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 11:36:40 AM »

i diddnt even notice the "beak" comment lol. I dont care tho. Ill admit im a noob. But ill watch and try wat others are doing, and im not ignorant to change my ways... if u make too many comments about noobs alwaysfishing then u might lose some business at B'sBait  ;) :D
If you aint dutch you aint much!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 02:41:35 PM »

we love noobs at berry's, it's ok to be a noob or newbie what ever. This is the reason i take classes to the river in the fall, to de-noobie-ize people. Noobs and beaks are two very different things.

you guys also gotta see that i am just playing around here  ;D  ;D   ;D

You'll love this... my report from this mornings trip to seabird isl.

Today I was royally humbled by two very large springs. First one on my third cast at first light, by myself, the nearest angler a good 100yards down stream and my fish swims up river. A lengthy battle ensues and after 15 mins or so I finally have the fish within tailing distance from shore. A big chrome beauty of approx 20 to 25 lbs. after struggling with trying to lead the fish onto the beach ( as I was alone) it makes one more blistering dash for the middle of the river and my 25# maxima, 6 ft leader explodes under the pressure of the fish running from my over tightened drag.... oh.... did i say that... yes I beaked off my fish, a rookie mistake....... :D

6 springs were hooked at first light and 4 were landed by various fishers on the bar.
5 fishless hours later, i look at the watch, turn to the guy that is now beside me and I say... well time for "the lucky last cast".. I bomb the 4 ounce BB as far into the river as my talon m2 and calcutta 400 will let it fly. About 10 bounces in .. wham! a monster is on the hook. This fish started emptying my reel the second it felt my 5/0 gami bury home. I ran down river , reeling as  i went gradually working the fish towards shore and the gentleman who was helping to land it. We see the fish as it rolls and dogs in the shallows , a good 30plus lbs , easy, then for the second time in one day... and on that infamous, save the day, last cast, catch one or it's skunksville, what do I do..... I suffer over tightened drag syndrome for the second time in one day. Another amateur mistake and I sit here at the computer, fishless for two hard mornings on the river.

so for all of you that may not have read humour into my beak definition above, smile, and get a good chuckle at my misfortune because today i had a little beak streak going on  ;)  ;D
 And for the noobs, a valuable lesson can be learned here, remember when you are ready to try beaching or leading a fish in to be netted or tailed, back your drag off a touch or you'll have a day like mine.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 03:06:41 PM by allwaysfishin »

pinkwool

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 03:25:24 PM »

Well, that could have been a lot different report if someone  ;)  paid attention to his gear like pros do, not like a nooby  ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 03:31:04 PM »

Perhaps you would like to enroll in my fishing class Thomas ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 04:02:01 PM »

hehehe  :D

one thing i will add to the report, only saw 2 sox hooked from 5:00 am to noon at the seabird bar. strange because it is normally a productive bar when sockeye are in good numbers. Where the heck are they all????? No point worrying about the sporty opening if there is no fish to catch  :o

pinkwool

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 04:06:14 PM »

At least it's still good for Springs  :o

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
Re: Upper Fraser August 1st
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »

Nothing says selective angling like a 4 oz. betty, 6 foot leader and a 5/O hook!!!!!!!!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: Upper Fraser August 1st
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 07:43:10 PM »

better than some people out there with 15' plus leaders