Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm back from Nootka.. briefly..so heres a few reports  (Read 1044 times)

allwaysfishin

I'm back from Nootka.. briefly..so heres a few reports
« on: August 16, 2007, 12:27:03 AM »

Well this season seems to be pretty darn good on the lower end of nootka. We have had to do the run out to Burwood and Friendly cove on a lot of days rather than fish the typical inside hot spots. Weather changes at the beginning of the month had the inside bite being really sporadic but the run to the outside spots generally paid off. Lot's of springs and some real healthy numbers of chunky BIG coho have been keeping us and our clients VERY entertained. The springs came on a bit early inside this year with some absolutely SMOKIN fishing in the last week to 10 days of July. This has been a pretty darn good 1st season chartering so far.... better than i had hoped..... I'm already booking repeats for next season  ;D

On the DOWN side of things....  there is an increasing number of net pen fish farms in the marine approach to GOLD RIVER...... very sad to see.... and also commercial fishers were given an opening to net the INSIDE waters of Nootka sound starting on the 7th of august... I have been told that this is a first and by God i hope it's the last time we see that.

Many of you folks don't like reports without pics but..... you'll have to wait for my website to be up and running this fall to check out the pics and some client video footage that has turned out just awesome. We'll be video taping lot's more action between now and the end of our season.
They are biting on Purple haze, green glo splatter and white red eye hoochies, various Coyote and Tomic spoons, a few hogs on cut plug or teaser headed herring, and the mainstay...anchovies on 6 to 9 ft leaders.... 30 to 60 ft on the inside.... where you find em on the outside (some as deep as 120 to 160) . There are a lot of mackeral around hitting the baits so many times we are forced to fish spoons or hoochies. Spoons and bucktails for the coho and holy crap..... wait till the videos come... the biggest coho i have ever physically laid eyes on, let alone put a hook into.

Right now i'm back in the L.M. taking in a few much deserved days off.... and today was spent bombin round the fraser on the Black Swan (our little boat... 16ft) and we managed to hook up a few sturgies down below Alex Fraser. The highlight was a brute of a 7 to 8 footer but the others ranged from 3 to 5 feet. A few pinks splashed on the surface here and there but the big push isn't in the river yet. Our sonar went crazy about an hour into the incoming tide and the stream of fish flowed by for about an hour.... musta been sox cuz nothing ate the spoons we were chuckin.

Well..... that's it
cheers and tight lines
Thomas

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: I'm back from Nootka.. briefly..so heres a few reports
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:31:44 AM »

Thanks for the report Thomas. Looking forward to seeing your website.

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:07:31 AM »

Thats awsome Thomas. Congrats on a great first season. Very happy for you.
I will be sending you a PM soon. Time to make a booking I think ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:39:08 AM »

anyone interested in booking for next season..... Here's how it will go.
Halibut fishing starts up in late may early june. I will be booking trips may 15 to june 20. There is no super long run miles offshore required  ;)

Our salmon season will start up July 15 and will continue to sept 15. Springs and Coho will be on the menu. Next year i hope to run 2 boats, the 23 footer for hali and fishing the outside and for groups up to 3 people. The small boat will run the inside and has capacity for 2 anglers.
We do not offer accomodations but there are several options open and the best thing is.... you can drive in... not like most west coast fishing where a plane or boat is required to get to the accomadations.

You can contact me at <allwaysfishin@hotmail.com> if you wish to be penciled in for next season.
I do not have internet access where i'm staying over there so please be patient if you send an email and don't hear back right away. Unfortunately, the rest of this season is booked up.... wish i could run 2 boats now hehehe